Program PIC16F84(/A) with microchip MPLAB ICD 2

I'd like to program my PIC16F84 with microchip MPLAB ICD 2 (I use this software : microchip MPLAB IDE version 6.30.0.0). It seems that the MPLAB ICD 2 doesn't support this PIC, and I can't program it.

What's wrong? Are there other possibilities to progam this type of PIC with the same programmer?

Thank-you very much for reply.

Roby.

Reply to
robycort

MPLAB 6.40 claims to support both the 16F84 and 16F84A with a PICSTART Plus and a Pro Mate II, but not with an ICD2. I haven't tried it myself.

Reply to
Ppelectron

Simple. The 16F84 is virtually obsolete.

The opposite question is more important: Are there other types of PICs that you can program with the programmer?

Check out my 16F84 is obsolete page for more info:

BAJ

Reply to
Byron A Jeff

I still use the good ol' 16F84 as well as its A incarnation ... because I *have* them and they work. Don't throw yours away just because sources, including the mfgr., say they are obsolete. Build yourself a programmer; they can be simple. And either cheap of free, depending on how well stocked your parts bin happens to be. For example, Google {PIC and Covington}. The "No Parts PIC Programmer", NOPP, is what I use ... and it's the only programmer I need. It programs the 16F84 (and its A), and with a software upgrade from a different source it also programs the

16F628 (which I also use).

Good luck, and happy PIC'n.

Michael

Reply to
Michael

All true.

I don't advocate buying 16F84 new; I do advocate using 'em if you already have 'em and they serve your purpose. The very idea of abandoning a part *only* because something else has come along - a philosophy which we have encountered in this NG all too often - strikes me as wasteful and silly. This from someone who is typing it on a 1997 vintage Slot 3 Pentium PC that he bought for $25 to replace the inop. Cyrix MII motherboard of a 1998 vintage PC which he rescued from trash pickup two years ago. :-)

Reply to
Michael

-All true.

-

-I don't advocate buying 16F84 new; I do advocate using 'em if you

-already have 'em and they serve your purpose. The very idea of

-abandoning a part *only* because something else has come along - a

-philosophy which we have encountered in this NG all too often - strikes

-me as wasteful and silly. This from someone who is typing it on a 1997

-vintage Slot 3 Pentium PC that he bought for $25 to replace the inop.

-Cyrix MII motherboard of a 1998 vintage PC which he rescued from trash

-pickup two years ago. :-)

I feel what you are saying to a point. But when it comes to PIC development, whaqt's on chip impact significantly what you can do with it, and how much time and trouble it'll take to make it happen. Like I said before, for simple tasks the part is fine. But most intermedate type projects that people tackle will have between 2 and 5 elements that the 16F84 lacks and the newer chips carry. And so you end up having to write software for the 16F84 to handle what chips like the 16F88 have in hardware.

Also Microchip will happily send most anyone free samples, so there really isn't a out of pocket expense to switch.

BAJ

Reply to
Byron A Jeff