Using a PIC16F877A with MPLAB ICD

I have a MPLAB ICD (not ICD2) and want to program a PIC16F877A. I'm using an older version of the MPLAB IDE (v. 5.62.00) because the latest doesn't seem to support the original ICD. However, in this version of the IDE I can only choose PIC16F877, not 877A. Will it be okay if I just choose the 877? It seems that the only differences are that the 877A has two comparators and programs 4 words at a time instead of 1, but other than that they are compatible. Also, is there some way of using the original ICD in the latest IDE, or would it be fine if I chose ICD2?

Thanks a lot, John

Reply to
John

There is a firmware upgrade for the ICD; go to

to download the software.

Reply to
Alan Holt

As stated by another contributor there is a firmware update for the ICD that permits the use of the 16F877A. You still select 16F877 in MPLAB, but the ICD detects which processor is actually being used.

MPLAB V6+ does not support the ICD1, so you (and I) are stuck with V5.

On a slightly separate but related note, what language are you using to program the PIC? I have used both the Knudsen Data CC5X and HT-soft PICC lite C compilers and with both I find that source level debugging does not work with MPLAB V5.62.00 or V5.70.40. All is OK with V5.40 (which I use) and I think V5.50. The problem is that the debugger fails to keep track of the source lines when single-stepping, and also I'm suspicious of the watch window display.

Anyone else observed this?

Reply to
Andrew

use MPLAB 5.70.40 there is support for PIC16F87XA virsions and inside is upgrade of the firmware Best regards Tsvetan

--
PCB prototypes for $26 at http://run.to/pcb(http://www.olimex.com/pcb)
Development boards for PIC, AVR and MSP430

But see my posting earlier in the thread about problems I have experienced with V5.70.40.

Reply to
Andrew

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll download the firmware update.

Andrew: I'm programming in assembly, as I'm under the impression that C compilers come at a price. It's for a university project, and we have limited funding. I'm aware that Microchip has a compiler with a one month (I think) trial period, but I'd need it for longer than that. Do you know of any free compilers (like maybe the ones you have mentioned)?

Thanks, John

Reply to
John

My university doesn't have much money either!

Free compilers: Knudsen Data CC5X

(no optimisation, code size limit 1K) HT-soft PICC lite
(code size limit 2K) Neither has a time limit, but both have restricted code size, so it depend on the size of your project. I've never found it a problem for extended classroom projects/assignments. I guess if it for a major project it might be a problem. I think one or the other (I forget which) the limitation is per module rather than total code size(??). I've never really investigated since code size has never been an issue for the type of work I/my students undertake.

Reply to
Andrew