I put four AA Ni-MHs on a Power Supply to Recharge Them

.. and I cranked up the current control to 300 mA or so. The four are in series and are 1700 mAh capacity. I've seen chargers that charge the Ni-MHs at C/10, for 15 hours. I have another charger that charges them in 5 hours. So if I charge them at about C/5, should I charge them for

7.5 hours? Or is there some difference in the time when the charging rate goes up?

Thanks.

-- @@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@ ###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###

My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 hotmail.com Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
You'll be glad you did! Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't changed it:

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

"Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

1.4 to 1.6 x AH capacity usually works. 1.4 x 1700 = 2380. 2380/300 = 6.3 hours 7.5 hours should be good, too.

Yes, slower charging rates work differently. One must consult the manufacturer's specifications.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

As charge rates goes up the battery warms, hence a portion of the charge current goes to heat the battery rather than charge it. This is main reason a C/1 rapid charger usually does not charge "rapid charge" for one hour, the thermal sensor shuts it back to about C/10 with the batteries at about 80%. There are ways of getting around this so batteries can be charged to almost

100% in as little as 15 minutes, but it makes for a fairly complicated charger.

C/5 should be fine, but you might check the battery temp around 5 or 6 hours. If warm to touch, you might want to back the current down a little. If they are only slightly above room temp then let them go at 300mA.

"Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
DAW

wrote

are

the

them

for

charging

= 6.3

Thanks. I've had four sets of four Ni-MHs in my digital camera case for awhile and I found that they were nearly discharged after a few months of not being used. So I have to keep up on maintaining them in a relatively fully charged condition. I think I should get another charger or two, just to keep on hand so I can drag out all four sets and charge them overnight. Or else use the ol' bench PS, like I did this time. ;-)

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

charge

reason

hour, the

80%.

almost

little.

Thanks. I think I'll buy a few more chargers, since the newer ones all seem to have a timer and cut off automatically. Makes for a safer stuation. I could go off and forget to remove the cells from my bench PS and that might not be a good idea. :-)

wrote

are

the

them

for

charging

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

In theory yes but there's more chance of damage if overcharged using a higher current. With NiCads, if I remember correctly, you can overcharge at C/10 for a few hours and at C/15 for 100 hours. Can't be sure about NiMh but I would be caution if you want long life.

Reply to
NOSPAM

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 03:58:44 -0700, "Watson A.Name - \"Watt Sun, the

NiMh self discharge faster than NiCads. About 1 month for NiMh and 3 Months for NiCads. Some 9v PP3 NiCads will last for many months, I use them in Fire Detectors but I see NiMh are not recommended in that application. Sadly that's the price you pay for reducing the so called 'memory loss' of NiCads.

Can't win 'em all...!

Reply to
NOSPAM

I don't think it's nearly that bad. Four months to about 50% remaining charge for the ones I use. That's at 20°C. At 40°C you can get down to

25% in a month.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany