How to test upper limit on IR thermometer?

Your eyeballs have lenses, which focus the light/radiation onto a very small spot on the retina - haven't you ever lit a piece of paper (or ants!) on fire using a magnifying glass?

Do IR pyrometers have that kind of focus?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Like I said, it depends.

Most instruments have a lens system.

Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Reply to
jimp

Think about it. Its easier than you think.

Michael A. Terrell

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 17:11:02 -0700, life imitates life wrote (in article ):

You win the booby prize ("You may now choose your booby."). The display says "OL" when the stovetop coil exceeds 500f.

So the limitation is in firmware. Damn!

Thanks for all who contributed.

Reply to
Gone Fishin'

The resistor bolometer has limits to what IR it can be exposed to.

Did you even read the instructions?

There IS "contact". It is just that some of you are too stupid to get the fact that light also has the potential to move matter.

It is a hard to miss fact for some of us. For some of you, however, setting your alarm clock poses difficulties.

Yes, LIGHT IMPINGES on the sensor, idiot.

Reply to
DarkSucker

Pure optics. Take the field of view. Say you are looking at a 6 inch spot.

That spot is focused down to what is typically a 2 mm resistor bolometer sense element. It usually sits a couple mm down in the "transistor can" under a germanium window or other such IR window media.

That 2mm spot has the entire "image" cast upon it. It is exactly like when you put a pinhole in a box and look at the sun on the back wall of the box. That image of the sun is a perfect casting of the actual image.

Same with IR. Instead of a CCD of whatever size like with video, the resistor bolometer is only 2 mm square.

Just do not point your IR meter toward the sun. It will fry the sense element.

Reply to
Mycelium

Actually, the best instruments go straight from the primary mirror to the sense element.

IR video has a lens system, and cheap IR has a fresnel , but most radiate directly onto the sensor.

Most are set up like a reflector telescope.

Lens systems cut energy, raising the noise floor.

Reply to
Mycelium

Better not tell anyone here. It will ruin their claims that I am never correct. Won't be the first time.

If you want to know who to filter, just filter all of the idiots that mouth off at this post.

Reply to
life imitates life

I noticed you snipped all the links showing IR pyrometers with lenses.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Reply to
jimp

I notice that you snipped where I mentioned that lenses ATTENUATE the signal!

I did make an entire line of high temp devices that used a Pyrex lens. They get placed in a cooled jacket, and get put right on a glass gob line looking at blazing hot molten glass gobs.

A single parabolic mirror yields the absolute best image on the sense element. The ultimate mirror is gold. All first surface, of course.

Usually, a thin film is over the tube as a dust shield.

____ (____·

Reply to
Mycelium

A quick perusal of IR pyrometers offered for sale shows that the majority do have a lens system.

If you have some detailed market research that shows otherwise, let's see it.

Bloviating on about "your" design says nothing about the original question.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Reply to
jimp

It isn't "my design" you retarded twit. It is the design that was used by the top players in the industry, dumbfuck!

We made a 2 foot long 4 inch tube version that had a rifle stock, a rifle scope, and a gold mirror that was used by the power industry for years before the thermal imager scene hit.

You know NOTHING about it to be touting lens based systems the way you do.

Since it is easier to make lens based systems, and the attenuation can be compensated for, most makers today use the cheaper, less accurate method. The old, tube based systems are not made much any more because their manufacture is very labor intensive.

That still doesn't change the fact that you are nothing more than a google twit that likely knows very little about that which you google at a personal level.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

And what percentage of the IR pyrometer market used this design?

Sounds like ancient history to me.

What is the current percentage of the IR pyrometer market that uses this design.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Reply to
jimp

In the infancy of the industry... ALL of them. Most copied our design(s).

That included Raytheon, SquareD and all that followed.

Nowadays, it costs more to copy a design than it does to just be a damned good engineer and create your own.

Nobody is milling the tops off of chips any more to look inside in an attempt to make a "reasonable" copy (theft). The time frame turns too quickly.

The resistor bolometer set-up in the early days was as in the picture I posted up in a.b.s.e

I used to make these:

They are (were) for looking at insulator strings and pole mounted transformers from the ground. This allowed power companies to find leaky insulators and replace them, saving power.

SoCal needs to do this instead of shutting off power during Santa Anas.

I have never seen so many overtly leaking electrical tower insulators in my life.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Sounds like yet another guess to me. That is sad. That is how you operate though.

The industry uses what they have. There are plenty of cases where they are still using the instrument they bought 25 years ago.

Not everybody has the childish 'run right out and get the new shit' mentality, like the cell phone crazed twits these days do.

You're a goddamned retard.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

And that has what to do with currently available devices?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Reply to
jimp

Evasion noticed.

The "market" does not mean "old junk people happen to have".

From the many ads for many makes and models of IR pyrometers, it appears the market is quite alive and dominated by lens systems.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.