manufacturers of dc/dc converter modules?

Hi - I was wondering - are there some 'better' brands when it comes to DC/DC switcher modules? I'm looking for a pre-built plug in sort of module, not a controller chip for such a module. I need a module that can do about 500ma or so with an 11.1V input. I had been using TI PTH08080W modules

which are

2A adjustable vout modules, but I'm going through a board redesign and thought I'd look for something better. As per the TI datasheet reccomendation, I've been using 330uf electrolytics in Panasonic G packages on both Vin and Vout on these modules. This whole assembly (PTH08080W + 2 capacitors) takes up about 4.25 cm^2. Real estate on this board is a very big deal, so smaller = much better.

I couldn't find any TI modules that looked any better, so I looked at some C&D modules. Specifically, their 7805SR modules

look perfect. They can output 500ma, boast 95% efficiency (though from the datasheet it looks like I'll be more in hte 85-90% region), and take up just a bit more space than a vertically mounted TO-220. They also say they don't need external components. Looking at the datasheet again, the transient response isn't as good as I'd like, but I should never have any changing loads like that - My load should be constant within +- 5% or so I think.

So - does this module look like an improvement? What kind of filtering on the input and output do I need? It will be powering a number of digital chips, one ARM micrcontroller, as well as a number of 8 bit microcontrollers, among many others. Any other modules/brands I should be looking at?

Thanks!

-Mike

PS sorry if this gets posted twice - google groups is being buggy as always.

Reply to
M. Noone