He-he! I think I Nixed an Ebay Spammer

I lost a bid for some transistors with long leads. I then got an email from ebay, "Item not won, similar items found.." and it gave the following auction, "3,29,337 Quailty Email Leads!!"(sic) (see URL below). Obviously this is a spammer illegally selling email addresses. So I reported it, but I went thru the steps and found no specific prohibition against this in ebay's spam policy, or in answers, or FAQs. I left a question for more info on a discussion forum.

Later I went back to see if it was still there, and guess what?! It is not! Yess! Got 'em! Dirty little parasite!

Item number: 3807802336

=ADME:B:RECO:US:2

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Looks like it's still up and active to me. Counter shows 31 hits so far.

-- Andy

Reply to
Andrew C. Green

I still see it....

--
Viper
http://www.zurax.com - PPC Search Engine

is

far.

That's weird, it gave me an invalid when I tried it later.

I finally found the policy in the user agreement, and it looks to me as if this is a violation of the user agreement.

It is probably also a violation of the legal clause. I think it's probably a violation of the can spam act.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

You had probably used the word "COPY" in your description. If you want to sell something like that in the future, then use the word "original" not "copy".

: I emailed ebay, but all I get is automated responses. Oh, well.

Some people sell copies of downloaded software being careful of their wording and get away with it. I report them and, like you, get nowhere.

: Anybody want Red Hat Linux cheap? (I've got "Red Hat 9 Bible," : "Beginning Red Hat 9" (the one they pulled) and "Red Hat Linux : for Dummies.") Free for picking up, Whittier, CA 90606. :-)

I'd love them, but can you still download the software package for free? There was a time you could get the software and the manuals had to be bought. Not sure now. I used RedHat 7 for a while back in the earlier days, but I find it to be rather tedious to maintain. Just my opinion I guess. 8o)

Bill @ GarberStreet Enterprizez };-) Web Site -

Email - willy46pa @ comcast DOT net Change DOT to a dot to contact me

--
This email ain't infected, dude!

Bill Garber

wrote

email

addresses.

sell

It _is_ illegal on ebay. See my other followup for the URL of their user terms of service.

people

Yes, they're victims, because they have signed up for some promotional, and didn't read the fine print which very likely says they're giving their email address up and will receive a lot of spam. Or like the victim has to uncheck the prechecked check box to keep from getting spammed. This is not opt-in, it's a violation of the user's privacy. It has nothing to do with spam, it has to do with privacy rights.

And your assertion that a lot of people do knowingly opt-in, that is also problematic. When you opt-in, you knowingly give your address to them, understanding that they will _not_ abuse it by reselling it to anyone. If you knew that they would, then you would not have opted in. But the spammers purposefully conceal this, because they know that no one would then sign up.

Well, these 3 million email addresses are not opt-in, everyone knows that. Most likely all of these email addresses were taken with absolutely no knowledge whatsoever of the user. Just another marketing ploy to conceal or distort the truth.

[snip]

See my other followup for the URL.

[snip]

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Le 06 Apr 2004, "Watson A.Name - \"Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\"" a écrit :

Works fine for me:

Well, they can try to bid on it, but I'm certainly not gonna fork the $14,999.99 I bid on it...

--
Google is forever, Lamie. Don't forget that.
                                      - The Roadie, NANAE

Visit my NANAE hangout - http://www.spamreaper.org/etaoin
Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

Far too heavy this thread so to make it lighter, and not totally unrelated

Look at the bid history in that, it did get to $10*10^6 at one stage.

If I buy it will you help me with the thyristor control circuitry please?

Reply to
Mjolinor

"Rich Grise" wrote

: : Anybody want Red Hat Linux cheap? : (I've got "Red Hat 9 Bible," "Beginning Red Hat 9" (the one they pulled) : and "Red Hat Linux for Dummies.") : : Free for picking up, Whittier, CA 90606. :-) : Cheers! Rich

Sure, But when I called your phone number it said disconnected. On "Rivera Rd? " When would be convenient?

Roger Gt (I do use Red Hat.)

Reply to
Roger Gt

Maybe it's because I started that thread months ago(!)

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

I wonder what phone no. I have that's disconnected? Yes, it's Rivera Rd - I sit at ABI Engineering, area code five six two, six nine six four eight four six. They only answer the phone during office hours, though. Just ask for "Rich." That's the company phone - the only phone I have in my name is the DSL line, and I wouldn't answer that on a voice call anyway. Oh, well.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise