Re: What size fuse?

LOL. I wasn't living here when it broke; I don't know what they did to it.

By the same token, I'm leaving and I wanted to either put in the right fuse or leave a note inside the case for the new owner (my roommate already bought a replacement and they plan to put this one in the lobby for someone to take.)

The second store I called had it, even 12 amps, not just 10, but as I expected, only fast-blow. The original was ceramic.

I thought all ceramic fuses were slo-blo, but this one is embossed F12H250 and some webpages say that F means fast-blow???? "The types of fuses include long-time-lag or super-time-lag (TT), fast-acting fuses (FF), quick-blow fuses (F) and slow-blow or time-lag fuses (T)"

Nothing I read decribes why a microwave should need ceramic or slow-blo (in the power part, not the high voltage part).

One page says " Glass has a low rupturing point, such as 15 amperes."

That's fine since it's a 12 amp fuse, and the normal usage is about 7 amps.

" If a high voltage comes down the electrical line, the fuse element will melt.

Are there really surges that come down the line that increase the amperage for normally 7 to over 12?

"The tiny glass fuses are great for small items that don't draw a heavy amount of current and blow on a regular basis. They don't perform well outdoors and can shatter when placed in high temperatures due to its low thermal stability."

Microwave is not used outdoors or at high temperatures.

From before According to the label on the back "The input is 1400 watts, but it's a

220 volt device, so that's less than 7amps normally. So, 10, right? Unless F12 in F12H250 at the top means 12 amps? " And the home.repair people told me it did, but the web says F means fast-blow.

It's a Crystal, model wp900AP23, but no schematic could I find on the web and the one taped inside just shows fuse, no details.

Reply to
micky

I've seen no fuse in mine.

Consider the protection is outside and 16A is enough.

Reply to
Look165

** Ceramic fuses come in all types, fast, medium and slo- blow as well as HRC.

HRC = High Rupture Current and are found in some uW ovens.

** Ceramic fuses are specified as they do not shatter when heavily overloaded. Slow blow is needed to cope with inrush surges from the transformer, if there is one.
** Absurd.

** Single plated wire "F? fuses are in fact rather slow and tolerate brief surges of say 5 times their rating.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison
*Correction: ** Single strand, plated wire "F" fuses of 10 amp raring or more are in fact rather slow and tolerate brief surges of say 5 times their rating.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

If it's F12H250 then you need to fit a 12A F12H250 of the same size & construction type. Fuses are more of a big deal in nukes than other appliances. Don't cut corners on them.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The size would be 6 mm if there was such a thing as a 22 volt microwave.

Reply to
Lucifer

Lucifer

I had a 5 volt UPS from a Data General mini computer which had a 200 amp HRC fuse.

Reply to
Lucifer

Unsurprising: old computers ate power.

The CPU of 1902S mainframe I was sysadmin for in 1972 was entirely solid state (discrete transistors) and with 32 kWords (96kB equivalent) of ferrite core memory. That CPU used 20KW. Add in 6 tape decks, two disk drives, printer, cardreader and a comms multiplexor and the system consumed 40 KW when fully up and running - typical for kit in that era.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

No System 4 for me - only 1900, 2903 (the 2900 DFC in a different orange box running microcode to emulate a 1900), and a fair bit of time at the BBC writing systems for their 2900s.

Somebody working in the computer room managed to drop a short crowbar into the BBC UPS when it had its covers off, but caught it before it did any damage - and then had to stand there holding it while the pair of

2960s were shut down and the UPS turned off. Were you there, by any chance?
--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org