Getting wired for the U.S. and Italy!!!

Hi,

I am looking to buy an inkjet printer, DVD recorder with hard disk, and home theater system. The problem is that I am living in Italy (220V/50Hz) and may move to the U.S. (110V/60Hz) in the future. I would the option to use these electronics in both countries.

I have the option of buying the products in the U.S., but would prefer to buy them here in Italy. From a technical standpoint, is it better to step down from 220/50 to 110/60 or step up?

I would like to avoid purchasing a voltage transformer/converter. Is it feasible to have these products rewired by an electrician to handle both voltages and frequencies?

I assume there is some form of a motor in all of these products. Is this a problem as far as the frequency is concerned?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Reply to
gretagarbo85

I assume you're aware of the different video standards - i.e Europe PAL; US NTSC?

It's likely that both products will have switched mode PSUs internally which would be less sensitive to frequency. If there is a mains frequency transformer it will get hotter running off a different frequency unless it is designed for 50 & 60 HZ operation. Copper losses with be higher in 60 Hz transformer run at 50 Hz and there is the chance of the core running closer to saturation. Iron losses would be higher in 50 Hz transformer run at 60 Hz. It's probably slightly better to run 50 Hz transformer at 60 Hz than vice-versa.

If you bought a model that had US and European variants, it might be possible to replace the power supply.

The motor will alsmost certainly be DC powered so unaffected by mains frequency.

--
Jim Backus OS/2 user since 1994
bona fide replies to j  backus  jita