Notch Filter - AOE

According to Art of Electronics, there are prefab Twin-T based notch filters available from 1 Hz to 50 kHz. Anybody know who supplies/manufactures these?

Thanks, Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Hello Ed,

I doubt that those products would still be around. Maybe the odd one for

50/60Hz or so. It's done digitally these days. Selecting capacitors to get to within a percent or less of tolerance is cost prohibitive these days. Switched capacitor filters are a modern option but even most of those chips are beginning to fade away.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

TI, UAF42 (no, not the vacuum tube UAF42!)

There is also a design software for free.

Jorgen dj0ud

Reply to
Jorgen Lund-Nielsen

Hello Jorgen,

Wow, didn't know they still made these. But Ed needs to hurry up, Digikey has a mere 5 left. $12.58 a pop.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

That's a nice chip, & the software does the design work. I was hoping to find a drop in 3-legged device, from what I read in AOE. I hoped maybe they got around the precision cap problem by growing them on silicon.

As you said, everything's gone active and moving toward DSP these days.

Thanks to both you & Jorgen for your answers.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Hello Ed,

Caps on silicon are plagued by very large tolerances. Easily 30%. That would require expensive laser trimming. Another method would be sectioning and connecting islands by FET switches during final test and then storing the settings in flash. Both rather expensive propositions.

What you can do on silicon is to build up several caps where the absolute values are not precise but where their ratios are very precise. That is what made switched capacitor filters popular which can also be nicely used for a notch filter. However, even those seem to have fallen from grace a bit given the small number of remaining offerings. My take is that they kept their prices too high, maybe trying to ride the "Oh look at this cool stuff" wave for too long. That's why I used them in only one design.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I wonder how much of that market area is now done in software?

What was the upper limit on the useful frequency of switched cap filters?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Hal Murray

Hello Hal,

AFAIK the LTC1068 can be clocked to above 5MHz and if you'd design a filter with a clock/CF ratio of 25 you could manage 200kHz. Not impossible with a digital system but it does get expensive. However, the LTC1068 would also cost you over $5/1k.

So nowadays it often looks like this: Audio is done in firmware while things above 100kHz are handled by ye olde LC circuitry, clever mixing and so on. Active filters have crept up into those regions as well but power consumption can become an issue.

It all depends on what you want to do. There really is no way around the fact that discrete inductors show around 10% tolerance and capacitors with tolerances under 5% are expensive. Many times we analog guys first take a look around, see what's there in filters for consumer gear. Ceramic IF filters and so on. Then we try to come with a mixing scheme that lets us use those filters since the generation of carrier frequencies is inexpensive and precise.