Power 230V 50Hz 460watts on USA power, where to buy?

I have an automatic wash bay that is being shipped in from Italy. I've received the custom computer circuits already for testing, and they are powered at 230V 50HZ and draw ~1A X 2 devices.

These circuits are in a closed box and include a badge card reader, a RS485 -> RS232 chip, various specialized computer chips, a lamp rated at 50HZ, several relays including Omron MY2 220/240VAC (S) and a row of other relays that I cannot identify, a pizzo for sound, several circuit breakers, and a Telemecanique ABL7 RM1202 power converter that takes

100-240VAC and turns it into 12VDC.

Obviously the DC circuits are not a problem, but my concern is the relays, and other potentially frequency sensitive parts. The AC input junction directly feeds to several of these circuits.

While I am tempted to just buy a 110V -> 230V AC-AC converter, this is not cheap hardware. I would rather purchase something that both converts 110V to 230V and 60HZ to 50HZ.

I am not an electronics guy. I am a computer programmer. While I have some electronics classes under by belt, I would want to purchase such equipment. But I don't know where to look. Google searching has not found me anything.

Any links?

Edwin Davidson

Reply to
edavid3001

Check the relays. Most relays I've seen say 50/60Hz. The lamp is not a problem. What other parts is there that feeds from AC? I guess it'd work fine with 60Hz... Inductances will get less power at

60Hz, since the frequency is higher, but minimal difference. So you won't burn anything I guess.

And the power converter takes 110VAC and turns into 12VDC, so it should be fine with 110VAC.

--
MVH,
Vidar

www.bitsex.net
Reply to
Vidar Løkken

Edwin-

In most cases, equipment designed for 50 Hz should work at 60 Hz with no problem. The trouble occurs when going the other way. A 60 Hz transformer or relay coil may draw more current when fed with 50 Hz power because they have less iron and/or less wire in them.

However, the relays might be part of a voltage-sensing system that automatically switches the setup between 120 and 240 Volts. If so, a 240 Volt 50 Hz relay might respond to 120 Volts 60 Hz when it shouldn't.

The equipment you describe sounds like something that would be used in an industrial setting. If you have a plant electrician or engineer to set up the equipment, they should be able to provide the necessary power feed. One thing to consider is using 240 Volts instead of 120, since the 120 Volts is normally half of a 240 circuit.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie