Transformer getting hot and burning

I have bought a tape recorder whose rectifier was designed for 60hz and 120 volts and I changed only the transformer in the rectifier from

120v 1 amp to 230 volts 1 ampere. Is that okay? If so why does my transformer becomes hot? Thanks Anil Deshpande
Reply to
anil.deshpande

Hi,

Is the 230V transformer designed for 50 or 60Hz? Which line frequency do you use? Using a 50Hz transformer on a 60Hz line _might_ cause relatively high magnetic losses (heat), depending on the design of the transformer.

hth,

Robert

Reply to
Robert Rudolf

You have it backwards Robert.

Using a 60Hz transformer on a 50Hz line _might_ cause relatively high loss (heat), depending on the design of the transformer. (TOO LITTLE IRON!)

Reply to
Clarence

Hi, Clarence

Yea, of course - you're right. 60Hz transformers need less iron. Normally, this should cause no problem. Only if the larger transformer core was already at its limits the smaller one will produce too much losses.

So, hope I didn't get anything wrong now - it's too late today.

greetings,

Robert

Reply to
Robert Rudolf

Sounds like the tranny might not be big enough, can you try something with more capacity (I.e say 2amp rating) ??

-- Regards ........... Rheilly Phoull

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Add a fan to counter this effect. That keeps the temperature down which fixes the problem.

--
Roger J.
Reply to

IRON!)

If he has replaced the original 120V transformer with a 230V transformer, he has done it to use at 50Hz and a relatively cheap 60Hz transformer at 50 Hz might be well into saturation and have excessive magnetising current.

--
Don Kelly
dhky@peeshaw.ca