Electrodes in a MOSFET

Hello to everybody.

We want to perform conductivity measurements in a MOSFET device based on carbon nanotubes. A net of carbon nanotubes bridges the source and drain electrodes, and a tiny aqueous sample drop is deposited between them, to be analysed.

We have to place then a tungsten tip on each electrode (source and drain) to apply the bias voltage, and another gold or platinum tip as the gate electrode immersed in the sample drop.

The question is: does the gate electrode has to be made of (compulsorily) gold or platinum? Can it be made of tungsten as well (as the source and drain ones) - much more cheaper and easier to get? We think that people uses the gate electrode made of gold or platinum simply because it is more resistant to aqueous solutions, but we are not sure if it is the only reason.

Thanks in advance,

Jordi Riu Dept. Analytical and Organic Chemistry Universitat Rovira i Virgili Tarragona Catalonia - Spain snipped-for-privacy@correu.urv.es

Reply to
Jordi Riu