Damaged mobile phone glass coating!!

Hi all...

Few days ago I decided to clean my the glass of my mobile phone with cloth for cleaning glasses.... Now it seems that this (bad quality obviously) cloth has damaged somekind of fat-resistant coating that was on the glass.... I know this because it gets dirty very very fast and it doesn't clean easily like it did before.....

My phone brand (samsung) says that 1 glass will cost me approx 50 Euro's. That's really much for a piece of plastic with dimensions of 3 by 2.5 cm....

I was wondering if anyone knows some kind of product wich I might use to put some kind of protective coating on the plastic.... Maybe cleaning liquid for cassette head ??? Or maybe there's something else that I don't know about ???

I really would appreciate some help.......

Thanks in advance..... MD01 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Dwarf

Hmmm, well, I've seen a product on American TV that can repair scratched lenses (for glasses) and other plastic surfaces, (I used to repair Pioneer CDJ-1000 professional dj CD players, and the plastic display cover would scratch merely by running your finger across it lightly.

Anyhow, this product claims that it can repair and fill in these scratches and make them disappear, I'll see if I can find a website for the stuff.

Other than that, to protect it from new, you could buy little protective covers that people use for their PDA (Palm pilots, Palm PC, etc...), cut them down to size and they just cling to your display, once they wear out or get dirty, just peel off and replace.

I use them on my PDA, it saves the screen from getting all scratched up and up until now, I've never thought of putting it onto a cell phone, but not a bad idea. I have an old Nokia 6185i tri mode phone that is beat to hell, but the display is scratch free for some odd reason!?!!? hehe

--
Myron Samila
Toronto, ON Canada

Did the phone instructions give you any hints about what *not* to use when cleaning the 'glass'? Chances are it is not glass and you have melted it with an alcohol-based solution, in which case replacement is probably the only solution to the problem.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

I guess you could try the stuff they sell on the shopping channels for putting on car windshields to repel dirt. They usually have naff sounding names like "rain away" or "bug off".

Use at your own risk!

Reply to
CWatters

I saw a guy on TV who maintained that rubbing shaving cream on the bathroom mirror would keep it from steaming up for months.

Reply to
Bob Stephens

The acrylic window will have to be replaced for the proper look (performance). You can try to polish it with the same type of polishing compound used for automobile paints. Use the fine polish. It is available at most any automobile parts supplier. Sears should have this in their automobile section. Without the antiglare coating, light will reflect off the surface, and it will never have the look as it originally did.

I would suggest getting a case for your phone with a see through window, or finding something clear that you can stick on the front of it, and change as necessary. I use a case with a see through window. It is cheaper to buy a new case every few months, than replace the acrylic window, or damage the case of the phone.

You can have the service centre for your cell phone type, replace the acrylic glass. This part is usually about $20 to $25 for an average phone. I have damaged these myself. The labour is about $20 average. Considering that if you buy a phone without a user contract, it is many hundreds of dollars, the few dollars to replace an annoying acrylic window is worth it.

As for the antiglare coating that the manufacture uses, this is not able to be put on by you. This is a metalized coating made from magnesium, that is put on using high vacuum technology.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg       GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage         http://www.zoom-one.com
Electronics        http://www.zoom-one.com/electron.htm

"Dwarf"  wrote in message
[...]

masterdwarf01@yahoo.com
Reply to
Jerry G.

bathroom

Yeah but it's a pain having to wipe it off when you want to see your face. :-)

Reply to
CWatters