capacitor discharge time

Hi all,

If I have a 100uF capacitor charged to 12volts, then I place a 6R ressitor across is (2amps) how long would it take to discharge to say 10volts ? How do I work this out ?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
exxos

Subtract the voltage change (2) from the starting voltage (12) and you get 10. Divide this by the starting voltage 10/12 and you get 0.833. Find natural log of this and you get -0.182 Next, multiply by RC and you get -.182 *6 * 0.0001 = -.000109 Change sign to positive and the answer is 109 microseconds.

t = - log ((V-delta V)/V) * RC

t = - log ((12-2)/12) * .0006 = 109 uS

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

Homework problem?

V = Vo exp(-t/RC)

Reply to
Mantra

ressitor

How

Everyone always says this ;), actually , I've been in the electronis repair trade for the past 15 years, unfortunatly working out stuff isn't by far in my day to day role, and since I have a memory like a siv one tends to forget over time :(

Reply to
exxos