RF Modulating a Scart output ...

I wonder if anyone could give some advice or an opinion about the possibility of using a cheap Playstation RF Modulator to feed the output of a Scart output only device (eg digital television receiver) into an old RF input only television?

The RF Modulator box (after snipping off the Playstation plug) has four wires: Ground, +5v, Video, Audio

I tried wiring it to one of those Scart plugs with three phono outputs: Video, Audio L, Audio R - but I got nowhere!

Any ideas?

Phil.

-- Warning: Incoming mail will be automatically pre-filtered for suspected Spam.

Reply to
Philip

Hmm. What supplies the +5V? The PlayStation or the modulator? If the former, you'd need to provide your own +5V.

Can you share exactly how you wired it up?

John.

possibility

output

television?

Spam.

Reply to
John Miller

I used a small (300 mA) seperate PSU set on 4.5V but outputing 4.9V according to a multimeter - normally the PlayStation provides the power.

Ok - the RF Modulator had a four wire input: Ground, +5v, Video, Audio

"Ground" and "+5v" came from the PSU Pin 19 of the Scart (CVBS output) was connected to "Video" Pin 3 (Left Audio) was connected to "Audio"

The two returns for Scart Pins 19 and 3 (ie 21 and 5 iirc) were linked to Ground too.

Didn't seem to work at all. Even just powering the modulator without connecting the audio and video signals seemed to severely degrade the "passed through" aerial connection, making the standard channels very bad.

Phil.

Reply to
Philip

Hello,

First - a dumb question: is there a signal on Pin 19? i.e., does the video source the SCART is connected to send out a video signal? (You never know!)

It might have something to do with connecting the modulator's ground to the SCART returns. i.e., the returns may not be at the same potential as the mod's ground. Not sure if it would work but if you disconnect the ground/return connections and measure the potential difference between them, it may shed some light (i.e., hook everything up as before but leave pins 21 and 5 unconnected. Measure the voltage between ground on the mod and these two pins - with and without the 5V supply on.

I did a quick Google. This is a strange write-up but might be useful:

(scroll about half-way down to see connection info)

John.

according

Reply to
John Miller