2 stage amplifier

Hi,

In a two stage microwave amplifer, how so you design the interstage matching network. The first stage already works, and I need to increase the gain. I am not sure how do design the second stage. What do I need to consider when the design the second stage - the interstage matching network, output matching network etc...

sthim

Reply to
sthim

That MMIC thing? Was that you? You could use a Wilkinson divider to match to a bunch of identical ERA-whatevers in parallel and use a Wilkinson divider as a combiner to get that 40dBm (?) output.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

No. That was someone else. You're the reflection coeficient guy.

You plot the relection coefficient that the output and input of next stage want to see on a Smith chart and connect the dots with inductances and capacitances and/or transmission line transformers.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

For small signal amplification at the "front end," conjugate matching is pretty much the universal technique. One typically starts with the s-parameters and goes from there.

Reply to
gwhite

I am a little confused. How do I find the input and output reflection coefficient of the next stage? Once I find them what do I match them to???

Thanks, sthim

Reply to
sthim

Didn't you do that search for linvall / rolette and small signal amp design I suggested? I guess not. You get the coefficients from the s-param data and the design equations and match output of stage

1 to input of stage 2.
--
Best Regards,
Mike