Xilinx Webpack 9.2 and Windows 2000 Pro?

On Xilinx's website, Webpack product-description no longer lists Windows 2000 as a supported O/S. I'm currently using Webpack 9.1i.03 on a Windows 2000 machiine.

Will I have problems if I try to upgrade to Webpack 9.2?

Reply to
Ioiod

Not sure if it helps but the full ISE 9.2.01i seems to be running fine on my win2k machine. I also checked the supported OS of ISE92 and indeed win2k is no longer listed :-(

Hans

HT-Lab

Windows 2000 is not a supported OS from ISE 9.2i onwards. It might still work but was not tested on it. As Hans said it works fine for him which is a good sign :)

Reply to
naude.jaco

I understand Xilinx's position on this completely. They can't devote effort to verifying that their application runs on a platform that is (soon to be) no longer supported.

My opinion is that as that platform acquires more and more features, it becomes less suitable for running CAD programs. Any CAD, not just ISE.

My concern is that I don't see a stable replacement in the near future. It really isn't fair to Xilinx to have them support the large number of popular Linux systems.

One possible outcome is that I will need to dedicate a machine to just running ISE. This really isn't as bad as it seems; I can buy a complete system for less than I've paid for a single FPGA (I did a design with a XC2V8000 once :).

Just my opinions, G.

Reply to
ghelbig

Xilinx supports Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 and 4; I expect that they'll add support for RHEL 5 in the near future, if they haven't already. I've never had any significant problems running software intended for RHEL on Fedora and Centos (the latter being a clone of RHEL). Many people report success on Debian, Ubuntu, and other Linux distributions.

Almost all commercial EDA software for Linux supports RHEL. It doesn't seem too onerous to expect customers that pay thousands of dollars for EDA software and want to run it on Linux to either run RHEL, or live with whatever minor issues might arise when trying to use a different Linux distribution.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Smith

It's great that Xilinx support Linux; however getting a complete toolchain around it isn't quite so easy. ModelSim would be an option for simulation, except that for VHDL, they want lots of money for SE. If LE wasn't Verilog-only, Linux would be a more compelling option.

I can see I'll have to try GHDL/VTKwave someday soon..

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond

You could also try the Xilinx simulator. Many bugs have been fixed in the

9.1i and 9.2i release, and I'm using it for a medium-size project without any trouble. The wave viewer could be improved though, as it still crashes when performing common operations, and zoom support isn't usable at high zoom levels.

-- Laurent Pinchart

Reply to
Laurent Pinchart

The Aldec simulator will do both on Linux, and if you are an independent consultant, for (I think) about the same price as Modelsim LE.

Reply to
Duane Clark