Xilinx ParallelCable IV vs. Linux

Ooops. I forgot. Xilinx does not release a LInux version of WebPACK. Nix that previous message.

Reply to
Neil Glenn Jacobson

But could the windows version using wine be used here? Can the linuxdrivers be used of are they only for the native Linux version of ISE?

I recently bought a Spartan-3 board from NuHorizons in the hope to use it using WebPACK under wine on Linux.

Regards, Sietse Achterop Computing Science department University of Groningen The Netherlands

Reply to
Sietse Achterop

Has anyone tried this program with the $99 Xilinx eval board?

Phil

Reply to
Phil Tomson

Hello,

I am trying it on the Spartan-3 board of NuHorizon. This board has, next to the spartan-3chip, a configuration device in the Jtag-chain so you have to put that one in BYPASS mode, with an 8-bit command.

The ljp.c program doesn't work, firstly because it is for Virtex that have

5 bit jtag-commands, while the spartan-3 has 6 bit commands, as described in the BSDL-file.

But alas after changing this, the ID-codes can be read properly, and bypass does also work. But programming doesnt:(. Both chip's are revision 0 by the way. The spartan-3 datasheet (part 3: page 38, figure 24) describes some details of how to program it. But that doesnt help me any further. As an aside, I make the bitfile with the option "-g StartUpClk:JtagClk" as is mentioned by the Impact program and in the documentation.

The question is, does the spartan-3 specify the programming in it's datasheet, or is there some vital part of the specifation missing from the datasheet. The ljp program follows this, and I tried a lot of variants, also looking in xapp139.pdf about virtex programming.

If the datasheet is telling the full story it should be fairly trivial to make it work, so I am afraid I'm missing something, but what?

cheers, Sietse Achterop

PS. I also tried my luck with the "mitoujtag" program, but I can't get the giveio.sys to function under wine. Does anyone know how to do this?

Reply to
Sietse Achterop