Xilinx USB Platform Cable not working anymore (linux)

I just tried the cable with same board on a Win XP computer and it

> works. I previously downgrade to cpld firmware V4 (taken in a ISE 6.3 > linux install) => not working under linux but working under windows. > Then i upgrade to version 6 and still working under windows. > > Going back to my Linux workstation nothing works. > > There is a strange thing with Impact, the "CPLD version" differs with > the "CPLD file version" while the two match on Windows. > > Connecting to cable (Usb Port - USB22). > Checking cable driver. > File version of /local/xilinx/bin/lin/xusbdfwu.hex = 1018(dec), 03FA. > File version of /etc/hotplug/usb/xusbdfwu.fw/xusbdfwu.hex = 1018(dec), 03FA. > Max current requested during enumeration is 150 mA. > Cable Type = 3, Revision = 0. > Setting cable speed to 6 MHz. > Cable connection established. > Firmware version = 1018. > CPLD file version = 0006h. > CPLD version = 0021h. > > Any idea.

I've got the same problem here: the USB cable works fine with windows, but using linux, the CPLD version is mis-read, and the only thing happening is the firmware being updated. (which takes almost an hour, hilarious!). I'm using ISE 8 instead of 6, but the symptoms are the same.

I just contacted Gilles in private to see if he found any solution to this issue yet. His workaround is the same as mine: use a windows machine for programming with the USB platform cable. I'm sure that's not what xilinx had in mind, when the published the Linux drivers for this cable.

Does anybody have this cable working yet, running a 2.6 linux kernel ?

Reply to
Gerr

I'm not sure if I have answered in this thread or not, but my experience is that the cable works in Linux if I have started impact in windows first. If I don't, impact in Linux wants to upgrade the CPLD version.

I'm using ISE 8 in both Linux and Windows.

/Andreas

Reply to
Andreas Ehliar

Ah, I must say I haven't tried that yet. It's terrible workaround for a serious flaw, but if it works, it's better then nothing.

Thank you very much,

Reply to
Gerr