Xilinx platform cable USB

Hi,

It might be a naive question, however, I just want to make sure. Is Xilinx new USB JTAG backward-compatible with old parallel port JTAG development boards? I'm a bit suspicious as some of the newer Xilinx boards say explicitly that the board is compatible with the USB JTAG. I know a JTAG is a JTAG regardless of whether it's USB or parallel port based. Just want to make sure. Please I would be grateful if anybody can clear this out for me as I need to order some stuff.

Thanks in advance, Cheers,

Reply to
Manny

The programming is done via JTAG, which is an IEEE standard. Both the USB-cable as well as the old parallel cable use JTAG to talk to the device. So yes, you can use the USB cable for all boards with a JTAG connector.

But you need to make sure to use a recent version of ISE. iMPACT doesn't support the USB cable before the 7.1i release, I think.

cu, Sean

Reply to
Sean Durkin

Sean,

Thanks a lot. I know JTAG is an IEE standard. I just wanted to be 100% sure.

Thanks again, Cheers,

-Manny

Reply to
Manny

Perhaps you are referring to the Spartan 3E starter kit?

In this case, in addition to the 6 pin JTAG header, it has a USB connector (and USB chip) on board so you can program it without having to buy *any* programming cable at all.

Alan Nishioka

Reply to
Alan Nishioka