xilinx embedded MAC

we are using xilinx xc2v3000 (virtex II) FPGA we are trying to do 42 MACs. right now we are doing the multiplication, followed by the addition. is there an MAC component available that can do this in one clock cycle?

--
Geoffrey Wall
Masters Student in Electrical/Computer Engineering

Hi Geoffrey, What speed are you targetting? Virtex2 has embedded Multipliers Only. The add has to be in Fabric. The MAC will get inferred from your code and it should use whatever multiplier and adder resources it needs in the xc2v3000. The key will be your speed requirements - as that will determine whether or not you will need to use pipeline registers in fabric between the multiply and the final accumulator, as well as input/output registers.

There is a trade-off between speed and register usage.

A single clock cycle MAC in VirtexII is one end of the spectrum. At the other end in Virtex4 -12 with the built in input/output and mutiply pipeline registers you can get

500MHz operation in the DSP48 (which also has much lower power dissipation because of reduced fabric and routing usage).

- Vic

Reply to
Vic Vadi