Xilinx design process....

OK. I tied asking some of this stuff before, but didn't seem to get any full answers... so I'll try to revisit.

If there's a Xilinx-support-site or system I should be using instead, then do, please, refer me to it.

I'm messing about with 9536 and friends. Real simple PLD stuff.

Xilinx/Cadence supplied a sort of library of "things" which could be used to make up 9536 circuits in Orcad. It puzzled the hell out of me, because some of them would compile for the 9536, and some wouldn't. After much reading, I've separated it into 2 libraries. One is basic primitives which work on all Xilinx PLDs, the other is macros which work on the 95xx family. I had to fillet out and dump those objects which were for other PLD series, but I think I'm there now.

If anyone wants the OrCAD libs, email me as davidc at Dexdyne dawt com

So I can draw Orcad ccts, create edif files, plug the edif into the project in the ISE, and program my devices by JTAG. All pretty slick.

But I haven't an idea in hell how to simulate the thing. I've used the Altera IDE, where there is a nice simple simulator, and it's all part of the IDE, and it took me a very short time to get to grips with. But Xilinx seems to have decided not to write their own, but bundle someone else's.

I understand I have to put the results into the ModelSim stuff, which seems to be capable of doing way more complex things than I'm every going to try this year, but it is very fierce fo9r a newbie to try to use on a simple 36 cell PLD. It doesn't seem to be integrated into the ISE, and I can't for the life of me work out how to point it at my simple 9536 design, and waggle a few inputs .... Would anyone be able to work though it with me? I'd be happy to email them the Orcad ccts and the output files generated by the ISE.

I think I'd have been OK if I put the design into the integrated schematic, but importing EDIFs seems to have confused it, or me.

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Collier

There is lots of stuff to have a look at try here for starters

. The Xilinx tools usually have documentation with them and/or web linked help. There are also free Webpack tools on the Xilinx site should you want to update to recent software. These tools should take edif input or you can do VHDL or Verilog design if you prefer.

If you look in the "libraries guide" from Xilinx you will find a list of macros (elements) and what product families support them.

If your Orcad suite doesn't support simulation the easiest path to simulate is usually generate a VHDL or Verilog netlist which most simulators support. There are a number of ways to do this but one way is use Webpack's "Generate Post-Fit Simulation Model". Some simulators will also import or compile edif directly. If you want to go through this in more detail please contact me as listed on our website.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd.

This message is the personal opinion of the sender and not that necessarily that of Enterpoint Ltd.. Readers should make their own evaluation of the facts. No responsibility for error or inaccuracy is accepted.

Reply to
John Adair