Cheapest possible host-side USB?

I'm trying to determine the cheapest possible way to add host-side USB
(1.x) to an existing embedded system. So far, the only way I've found
is to use a high-end 32-bit microcontroller. Are there simple (i.e.
non-PCI-hugely-integrated-monster parts) chips that work for host side
like the Philips USBDxx series works for device side? I've not found
any yet...

Re: Cheapest possible host-side USB?
Check Cypress's EZ-Host products (CY7C67300, etc)

Robert Lacoste - ALCIOM : The mixed signals experts
http://www.alciom.com

Re: Cheapest possible host-side USB?

Ah! The SL811HS seems to be exactly the product I need, thank you!

Re: Cheapest possible host-side USB?

<Top-posting corrected>

I agree.
8051-Based, a PC host runs a USB development board in
a Windows IDE and product can be done in a very small
form factor (3" x 3" or less, depending on function).

I don't do HW design anymore but I know someone who
can do you a very quick turnaround design and board
layout.

Ken Asbury

Re: Cheapest possible host-side USB?

USBOTG?

  Philips On-The-Go solutions:

     * ISP1261, ISP1262 USB OTG Bridge Controller
     * ISP1362, ISP1363 USB OTG dual-role host/peripheral controller
     * ISP1301 USB OTG transceiver

Not tried them.

Paul Burke

Re: Cheapest possible host-side USB?

I'm not familiar with OTG, I thought that the schtick there was that
_OTG-enabled_ peripherals could talk to each other as well as to
normal hosts. I wasn't aware the spec allows any OTG appliance to
connect to just any old general off-the-shelf USB peripheral.

Can you enlighten me?

Re: Cheapest possible host-side USB?

Philips site seems to give a good write up:

<http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/buses/usb/products/otg/

Specifically says OTG can use standard USB peripherals.

Paul Burke

Re: Cheapest possible host-side USB?
snipped-for-privacy@larwe.com says...

I'm interested  in the same kind of device.  I get occasional emails
from folks that want to use the USB interface I produce to connect
a USB webcam to their data logger.  I then have to explain the
difference between host and device side USB interfaces.

It would be nice to find an equivalent to the FTDI devices which
would provide a nice fifo-style interface,  and handle all the
details of enumeration, etc.   Even so,   I expect the firmware
would be much more complex than that required for a device-side
interface.

Mark Borgerson

Re: Cheapest possible host-side USB?

The AT43USB370 might be just that.

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/product_card.asp?part_id30%46

It hides the inner details of the  USB Host interface.

atmel dot com
These comments are intended to be my own opinion and they
may, or may not be shared by my employer, Atmel Sweden.

Re: Cheapest possible host-side USB?

Well, besides the fact that it apparently doesn't exist yet (or at
least, you can't buy it anywhere - is it a standard part?)... this
chip seems even more complicated to use than a dumb USB engine, and
quite hard to interface to a "small" embedded system. The Cypress
parts are definitely more in line with what I was looking for,
although the firmware engineering is pretty nasty. Still, that's USB
all over, really.

Re: Cheapest possible host-side USB?

Ive made a USB stack for our embedded system with the Cypress SL811HS.
Cypress provides source for simple (low-functionality) host operation, and
you can find a more complete host driver included in the linux kernel
distribution.

Im soon going to add support for the TransDimension
(http://www.transdimension.com /) UHC124. Their datasheet arragantly claims
that the Cypress design is naive. This chip is usually used with the
SoftConnex host stack, which they also sell. No sample source seems to be
available.

Leo Havm°ller.

Re: Cheapest possible host-side USB?

we have used the philips isp1160 usb host controller,
its cheap about USD 5,- and has a standard microcontroller
interface (but only 16 data bits little endian).
The data communication is either via cpu or dma.

it has a 4KB internal buffer for automatically sending and receiving.
All transfer modes are possible.

infos: http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/pip/ISP1160.html

we used it with a mc68331 @ 15MHz to control 1

Re: Cheapest possible host-side USB?

we have used the philips isp1160 usb host controller,
its cheap about USD 5,- and has a standard microcontroller
interface (but only 16 data bits little endian).
The data communication is either via cpu or dma.

it has a 4KB internal buffer for automatically sending and receiving.
All transfer modes are possible.

infos: http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/pip/ISP1160.html

we used it with a mc68331 @ 15MHz to control 1

Re: Cheapest possible host-side USB?

sorry for 2 messages, I clicked erronously some wrong button in google
groups ...

we have used the philips isp1160 usb host controller,
its cheap about USD 5,- and has a standard microcontroller
interface (but only 16 data bits little endian).
The data communication is either via cpu or dma.

it has a 4KB internal buffer for automatically sending and receiving.
All transfer modes are possible.

infos: http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/pip/ISP1160.html

we used it with a mc68331 @ 15MHz to control 1 or 2 custom devices
(maybe a hub and some hid devices in the future) but following the
standard usb protocols (the devices are also connected to an PC).

we started with an example PC demo software from philips as base for
our own software stack.

An cheap (about USD 900) USB analyzer from ellisoft:
http://www.ellisys.com/products/tracker110/index.php
helped us to find some bugs in the software.

greetings
Leopold Faschalek
SKIDATA AG

Site Timeline