Virtex 5 static and dynamic (re)configuration

Hi,

Could someone explain me briefly which is the basic difference between static configuration and dynamic reconfiguration in Virtex5 ?

Assuming I have to deal with the biggest Virtex5 device (XC5VLX330T) and my option will be a static configuration, which solution will be the fastest ?

Which is the best avilable hardware reference design for the Virtex5 series? I mean one from which you may learn about configuration, DDR2 interfacing, RocketIO, power supply tricks (after you've read datasheets and application notes).

thank you, Vasile

Reply to
vasile

In my opinion, Static reconfiguration erases the configuration SRAM and reprograms, hence the device actually (restart) after configuration. While in case of dynamic reconfiguration configuration memory is not erased. Dynamic reconfiguration is mainly Partial and part of device is reconfigured and rest of the device works as it was doing before configuration. This requires insertion of bus macros and proper floor planning.

"Solution ?", Perhaps you are talking about mode of configuration. In my opinion, (which may be wrong), out of JTAG, Master/slave serial, and selectMap; Select Map is the fastest mode of configuration. Partial reconfiguration is supported only with JTAG and Selectmap interfaces.

I did not try to find one. I think that you can get some design (Schemetics) from Avnet website, If the designed any......

Hope it works

MH

Reply to
mh