verification vs validation

Hi,

can any one give the difference between verification and validation ?

what is system level validation ?

what is emulation ?

with regards pradeep.g

Reply to
pradeep

Will I get credit for doing your assignments?

What is homework?

Why can't you read your text book?

I don't normally answer posts that appear to be students asking for help with homework (or more correctly asking others to do the work for them). But this is just too obvious.

How about you read your book and write a couple of paragraphs on each of the above questions for us to critique? Wouldn't that be more useful to you?

--
Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

hi rick,

i am sorry for asking these type of trivial questions,

let me be the first person to answer.

Difference between verification and validation

Validation and verification refer to the process of satisfying the requirement, but the difference lies in the level of testing.

Verification refer to lower level of test, like testing of module, interface etc. Verification tests are conducted by the developer.

Whereas validation occurs at the final stage prior to the acceptance of a product for release. Validation tests are normally conducted by a party that is independent of the developer (Quality Assurance or the test group)

Emulation

The process by which a device is built to work like another. For example, a chip can be designed to emulate another model. The emulator can be hardware, software or both

with regards pradeep.g

Reply to
pradeep

Looking at the definition of those two words, you could just as easily reverse the wording of the last two paragraphs and you would be equally correct.

The company I work for has a group called DVT (design verification and test). They are the high level testers... the final stage prior to product release. I'll bet others in the group have similar "final test" groups that use the word validation rather than verification.

In my opinion, the words have close enough meanings that confusion would result if an organization tried to use them, by themselves, to mean two different things.

Have fun,

Marc

Reply to
Marc Randolph

Verification proves (or at least, attempts to prove) that the design meets the specification. Validation proves that original specification was sound.

Check out

-- Ian Poole, Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how VHDL * Verilog * SystemC * Perl * Tcl/Tk * Verification * Project Services

Doulos Ltd. Church Hatch, 22 Market Place, Ringwood, Hampshire, BH24 1AW, UK Tel: +44 (0)1425 471223 mail: snipped-for-privacy@doulos.com Fax: +44 (0)1425 471573 Web:

The contents of this message may contain personal views which are not the views of Doulos Ltd., unless specifically stated.

Reply to
Ian Poole