Using an FPGA as USB HOST without PHY

Hi everybody, Isi it possible to connect directly FPGA ouptuts to USB line like this :

(Pull downs are necessary to be able to act as USB Host.) And then to use a dedicated IP for USB host role (some on opencores )

Thanks

Reply to
bm

Which version of USB are you interested in? USB Full Speed has much less stringent requirements on the PHY than does USB v 2.0 High Speed. I have not heard of anyone doing either in an FPGA, but I don't know that it won't work for Full Speed.

Reply to
rickman

bm schrieb:

FS and LS should be no big issue. There are some folks doing LS host with 100% software in small 2USD microcontrollers!

one japanese FPGA guy has some nifty usb host thing, he has developed a special 1 bit processor that he uses as USB host engine. well the purpose for him is to use USB keyboard for some gaming gadget.

Antti

Antti

Interesting ...Any pointer ?

Reply to
bm

bm schrieb:

you really learn how to goofle ! :)

just enter "usb fpga ukp" as search term and there you, first hit!

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Was this a typo? I get a bunch of links to sites giving pricing in Brittish pounds.

Maybe you were referring to this...

rickman

rickman schrieb:

NO. and NO typo.

google search web search from my PC with keywords "usb fpga ukp" returns as first hit the following URL (I just rechecked!)

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Well I guess you are just special then. I get

and I would have no idea why you would use "ukp" as part of the search. Care to explain or do you prefer to remail mysterious about it?

BTW, the address you posted gives me a web page in an Asian language, possibly Japanese. I am not able to read any of it.

Reply to
rickman

I had lost the web pointer, so I found it again by googling. I remembered that the 1bit processor had some name ukx something and was lucky to have the search to return the page.

I understand from japanese as much as you do, eg nil. but verilog is verilog, also from japanese website.

just take the last archive from that page it is the latest source code I think

Antti BTW google can translate this page to english

Reply to
Antti Lukats

Did you see the bit on the Google search result page where it says 'translate this page'? Press that, and then you get stuff you can read, but not understand. Along the lines of 'My hovercraft is full of eels. For great justice.'. HTH, Syms. :-) p.s. The abbreviation for pounds sterling is properly GBP as those pesky Ukrainians wanted UK too.

Reply to
Symon

I think you replied to the wrong post. I did not find that page through Google. My search came up with other unrelated pages...

Reply to
rickman

Maybe you have your google search preferences set to return "English pages only"

Pat

Reply to
pmaupin

Isn't that rather irrelevant? Even if the search had turned up a Japanese page, how would I have any clue as to what it was about?

Antti seems to think that this was somehow an obviously useful page and should have been found by the OP. Bah!

Reply to
rickman

Thanks Antti ! Put the tranlsated page here :

Not sure it does contain what i'm looking for (direct connection from I/O pins to USB) but interesting anyway .....

Antti a =E9crit :

Reply to
BM

Did translate another page from the original link :

This one does contain actual material for HW connection aspects Great !

BM a =E9crit :

http--www_geocities_jp-kwhr0-hard-pc8001.htm

Reply to
BM

LOL

no I am just having my fun. sorry rick. no this google search wasnt obvious. but the page it should have landed can be found by other means too - I found it from some cross links that talked about PC8001 retrocomputer and those links pointed to that japanese site where I found the UKP (USB Keyboard Processor) there are some more pages from that japanese guy I think I looked at his 'one bit processor' and found it interesting. but I forgot the link, and how I initially find it. So I tried if I can find the site again with google and found.

I added USB FPGA to google search and I rememebered the name of special processor being short and have UK in the name, I tried a few combinations until google itself suggested to change the search term to UKP, and after that the page link appeared !

sorry again - rick - I am under extreme stress and I just cant help of having the comments, eh they way I do.

cheers, Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

The KPU description was understandable for me:

And the 1 bit processor looks interesting and it comes with full Verilog source code (commented in english). But why Antti called it 1 bit? It uses

8 bit registers and a 10 bit program counter.
--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

Not quite. Looks an interesting tiny core, similar to the old MC14500. That also is one bit data, and nibble sized opcodes, gives just 16 opcodes.

If I've followed the janglish, the W register is Serial IO collection and the operands work on IN and OUTx ( the D+/D- lines ), so it is manipulating one-bit PIN data serially.

Some questions for Antti, who may have made more sense of this

I think this manipulates the Kbd USB lines directly, but not in USB mode, but in the psuedo PS/2 mode, that most USB KBDs seem to contain ?

How large is the CODE image to make the tiny core do this ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Jim Granville schrieb:

no, the USB keyboard is in USB mode! just look at the ukp.s that is the source code, you see the USB enumeration commands being present!

Antti

Reply to
Antti