FPGA KIT recommendation

I've been thinking about two months in buying a FPGA KIT and I've finally decided to buy this board

. I don't know if it's a good election. I'm coursing the first university studies and I've doing doing a subject about building a simply general purpose processor. I liked it and now I want to do my own mini-projects. I'm interested also in the usb module to learn about usb memories,bluethoot modules,game pads,etc. I don't know if there are good documentation and tutorials for this boards. I know that it is a little expensive (299$ , 349$ with the usb module) but I don't want to change the board in a few months. I've managed some protocols like ATA/ATAPI but I don't know if it can be too complex.

Thanks you very much,

Jordi

Reply to
Jordi

"Jordi" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Hi this module at academic pricing is not expensive, it is actually sold below or at self cost of the components. The academic pricing is 5 times lower than this kind of board would cost normally.

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

We've got a couple of those boards in the lab and I've been impressed. They have a faster 2vp30 than the ml310 boards. I'm not certain, however, that you can use the USB in designs or if its just for configuration.

There may be a long lead time on them as well.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Craven

I use this board. It's great.

USB is for configuration only.

-Eli

Reply to
Eli Hughes

I'm sure it will be fine.

I chose the BurchEd B5 board.

It just gives you an FPGA and a few essentials. Thus you don't pay for features that you do not need or want. If you want a feature, there are expansion boards for each.

The kind of projects I make, I want all the pins free for my application, not tied to on-board features I don't want.

With the B5, you could for example buy expansion boards for more than one VGA port, keyboard port, mouse port, etc. It is a lot more flexible.

Reply to
Kryten

Hi, thanks for the answers. I've seen that buying the digilent board is cheaper than buying another board and expansion boards but it's true that it have less free pins. I hope that with three expansion ports plus 60 digital i/o pins will be enough. About the usb, I was referring to the usb expansion board.I don't know if this board is only to connect the board to a host or can act as a host,I mean if this module is to connect the board to a computer or connect usb devices like pendrives to the board.I'm interested in the second option or if it's possible in both options.This expansion board has the Cypress CY7C68013 USB controller.

Thanks to all again,

Jordi

Reply to
Jordi

Can any one donate me a xilinx FPGA based development kit. I need it , because my previous FPGA pins are not working. I was using a SPARTAN XCS10 , but this fpga is no more available. thanx

Reply to
JASH