upgrading firmware on stratix 2 without NIOS IDE

I am writing a firmware application that allows the verilog hardware on the stratix 2 board to communicate via rs232 to a C# application. I would like to add the functionality into the C# app to upgrade the firmware on the board, as new functions become available. I'd like to be able to send a flash file from PC to the board, store it to flash and have the new version load on reset.

ANY INFORMATION is GOOD INFORMATION

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Johnson

Was there a question in there?

Here's some information that might be useful: My shoe size is 12.:)

Your idea sounds perfectly reasonable.

-Dave

--
David Ashley                http://www.xdr.com/dash
Embedded linux, device drivers, system architecture

so the question is........i think.......how do you reformat the output of the NIOS IDE output files so they can be saved to flash and successfuilly rebooted.

Jeff size 11....DOH! got me again

Reply to
Jeff Johnson

Well I don't know Verilog, C# or NIOS IDE so I can't help. But at least now someone else will know what you need. :)

-Dave

--
David Ashley                http://www.xdr.com/dash
Embedded linux, device drivers, system architecture
Reply to
David Ashley

In principle, this completely depends on the type of flash you use. If you look into the datasheet of the flash chips you're using, there should be a detailed section on how to erase a page of flash, how to bulk-erase the whole chip etc, and, most importantly, how to program an empty page of flash.

Basically, there's two types of flash, namely Intel and AMD type flash. Both types use different programming algorithms. Newer flash devices offer something called CFI (Common Flash Interface), where you send a bunch of very specific write commands to the flash device, after which it can supply you with the algorithm, number of pages etc etc.

Best to contact your local Altera or disti FAE for some suggestions.

Best regards,

Ben

Reply to
Ben Twijnstra

JEFF WRITES

I am sorry for asking a vague question....I will be more specific now. On the NIOS 2 processor I am using on the Stratix 2 FPGA, i already have the ability to write to flash once the data is on the board, and I can transfer data to the board. My real problem is knowing what to send to the board. I am Using the NIOS 2 IDE to compile the firmware for this board. What i would like to do is be able to send (over RS232......i know...i know) but over this existing link i'd like to be able to send the new executable. the problem is i don't know anything about what file or format to send to the FPGA. I have read some other postings of people that have attempted to use the NIOS 2 IDE output files, and everyone seems to be of the mind that the file are in the wrong format, and need to be converted.

again sorry for being vague

Jeffrey Johns> Jeff Johns>

Reply to
Jeff Johnson