Synplify beeping

I am running Synplify from the Lattice ispLever tools and every time I compile the design Synplify beeps when it is started and beeps when it finishes. It is a lot louder than the other sounds the computer makes and is a very irritating noise. They have a control to turn it off, but I can't figure out how to make the control stay off from one run to the next. It seems to default to beeping.

Anyone know where this configuration is stored? How do I turn it off permanently?

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Permanently? :)

You are a hardware geek. Right?

The classical solution is wire cutters at the speaker terminals.

Hal Murray

Well, I am a *geek*, I don't know that I would constrain that to hardware...

Yes, that is indeed permanent... but not very selective. There are a few sounds that come from the PC that I don't object to and even a few that I like. I would hate to lose those.

I was thinking more on the lines of a way to make the option change in Simplify more permanent.

The ironic part is I think that I turned it on in the first place. I thought it might be a good idea. I just didn't know how annoying this particular beep could be!

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Hello Rick,

Does the fact that you are now down to worrying about the beeps mean that you are a bit happier with the Lattice software now? I ask because I've been using it a while (2 years) and find it pretty good (compared with X which i used before). I never had you issues with Aldec v ModelSim because I have had fully paid up separated Aldec HDL for ages.

Michael Kellett

Reply to
MK

No, in fact I am having an issue with using the GSR right now. The tools have a Design Planner which allows you to edit pin assignments and port settings. But for some reason the tool has stopped working correctly. I can open the spreadsheet view, but I don't have a Port Assignments tab. I have a Pin Assignments tab, but this won't let me edit anything.

I am actually reaching that point where every little thing is driving me nuts! So the beeping is becoming more and more annoying... it's almost like it is *mocking* me... beep, that won't work... beep, that won't work either... beep, beep, beep!!! ;^)

The local FAE is pretty good and has been trying to support me. But there is only so much that can be done by email or over the phone. I have a work around for the GSR issue, but I still want to get the Design Planner working correctly since otherwise all changes to the port I/Os has to be done by hand editing the LPF file and I can't find docs on the command formats and values.

It's times like these that I wish I had kids to yell at!

Rick

Reply to
rickman

I did want to say one other thing. My original approach to this design was to use the free tools for synthesis and the free X tools for simulation. But X has gone with an in house simulator and it is pretty bad! It seems to take a long time to compile the design, longer than most of the simulations I run... at least when I am debugging the details. I don't recall the specifics, but the UI has some significant limitations and I want to say it has a few bugs, but I'm not sure.

The point is that it was bad enough that I decided to shell out nearly $1k for the Lattice tools that included a simulator. The Aldec tool is fine, in fact, it may be better than Modelsim. It is fast to compile and even the speed limited version seems to simulate reasonably fast. But the rest of the Lattice tools have given me a lot of trouble and mostly the licensing has been very painful. I am still running two versions of ispLever, 7.0 for the synthesis and 7.1 for simulation. They won't give me a license for the simulator I purchased with 7.0 and they can't get the synthesis to work under 7.1 on my machine.

Does any of this sound like I am "happier"?

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Rick,

My tool liscensed so I'm not sure if it's the same as what you're working with. My ispLever Project Manager has the ability to launch "Synplify Pro Synthesis" from the Tools menu. Once in Synplify Pro, the Options menu "Project View Options..." has "Beep when a job completes" checkbox on the second line. This is SynplifyPro for Lattice 9.4L launched from the 7.1 Lattice tool suite.

- John_H

Reply to
John_H

Hi John, thanks for the info. My version is licensed, but it is just the Lattice specific version. I see the same setting in the same dialog box. When I select it, it stays set (or unset) as long as I don't exit Syniplify. But when it quits and I run it again, the box is once again checked. I thought I would hand edit the setup file, but I can't find it.

Rick

Reply to
rickman