Synplicy and Xilinx - no PAR

I've got major issues here. I've installed Xilinx 9.2i with the latest updates and service packs, and am trying to get Synplify 8.9 to actually work with it. The problem is that although I can compile my code fine, when it comes time to start the Place and Route state, nothing happens. I know my project files are OK because I ran the same project on another machine which had the same software except for an earlier version of Xilinx. I even created a test project from scratch to test this, and the same problem occured - Xilinx just won't take over after compilation in Synplicity (both Premier and Pro suffer the same problem).

It should *just work*, it has so in the past. I have the par implementation ticked and XILINX & PATH env settings all enabled properly. I would have though if Synplicity couldn't activate that it would complain with an error message, but it's as if it's not even trying to load the xilinx tools to continue.

Since the only difference between this machine and the one that works is a newer version of Xilinx, I'm guessing it's too new for Synplify 8.9. I have no idea what to do.

Reply to
FoolsGold

I'd open a case with both vendors and send them my code.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

Because we have floating licenses at work, I'm used to working with Xilinx and Synplify separately. The EDIF is generated by the first tool and - very important - the Xilinx tool switched to the EDIF input file type.

I think both tools can launch the other. Do you use Xilinx to launch Synplify or do you use the Synplicity tool to run the Xilinx flow?

If you just want to get going, I'd recommend running the tools separately. With a valid EDIF for your Xilinx tool with an EDIF flow, you should get your P&R fine.

As far as getting the tools to work cohesively? It's hard to figure out which vendor has the interface problem when everything should flow. But please let us know what flow you use.

If you ARE running the tools separately, look at the EDIF file yourself and see if everything looks like it should. Then if it gets through MAP but doesn't hit PAR, check the MAP report for anything that might indicate a serious hiccup. If you're scripting everything, it's easy to lose track of errors that are blatantly obvious within the GUI; run the GUI once.

- John_H

Reply to
John_H

I generally work by using Synplicity to run the Xilinx flow, although if necessary I can just convert to using scripts. Synplicity has a nice big "Run" button which makes things quite simple though. :)

Anyway, I've determined something's gone wrong with my licenses which seems to have been fixed after switching to an alternative license server. Thanks for your help.

John_H wrote:

Reply to
FoolsGold