Starting with xilinix and Linux

I've been running WebPack 6.3 using wine under Gentoo linux for a while now with no problems. My wine version is 20041019. The only native .dll files I have in my windows directory are mfc42.dll and msvcp60.dll.

As I recall, I ran into no hitches during the install, it just worked normally. I may have had some pop-up windows appear under other windows, this is a common problem with wine and I'm used to it.

The GUI programs seem to work well although they are slow under wine. I tend to use the command line versions which seem to run at normal speed. I just run a unix script file to synthesize my project.

To call the individual programs (xst, map, etc) I created the following shell script and created symlinks to it for each program I wanted to use:

------------------------------------------------------------ #!/bin/bash export WINEPREFIX=/home/sag/wine/Xilinx export XILINX=c:\\Xilinx export WINEDEBUG=-fixme-all wine "$XILINX/bin/nt/${0##*/}" $*

That last line in the script starts the xilinx program with the same name as the script. Since I use symlinks to this script I can use the same script for all the programs. For example, I have a symlink named xst which points to this script and it causes the windows native xst.exe program to be run under wine.

In general, it looks to me like the good Xilinx software engineers have intentionally made these tools wine friendly. I which everyone would do that (or even better support Linux natively).

Good luck,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Glow

correct me if I'm wrong: There isn't a linux trail version. Michael

--
Remove the sport from my address to obtain email
www.enertex.de - Innovative Systemlösungen der Energie- und Elektrotechnik

For a kernel patch, see e,g,

No luck son long. I am now taking another approach to get the patch into the kernel.

Bye

Uwe Bonnes

I also tried wine 20040813, but there was no difference. Which WebPack did you download? I used this one: WebPACK_63_fcfull_i.exe

Michael

--
Remove the sport from my address to obtain email
www.enertex.de - Innovative Systemlösungen der Energie- und Elektrotechnik
Reply to
Michael Schuster

It looks like you still didn't copy the mfc42/msvcp60 dll to the wine system directory?

Uwe Bonnes

The demo doesn't include the Linux binaries. Since WebPACK 7.1 is expected to include Linux support, maybe the ISE 7.1 demo will?

Reply to
Eric Smith

The key to doing this is to install the vc6 support package on wine - see my page

for details. I'm currently running a 6.3 webpack with no problems (other than configuration as usual) using wine. On SuSE 9.1 I did this (very simple):

1) Install the binary dec. 1 distribution from
2) Install the support package as described on my page (no need to manually override the windows version for the newest wine). 3) Install the webpack using the self-extracting archive

And it has been working ever since.

--
Brian Dam Pedersen
M.Sc.EE

YES! It works! Supererb! Thanks for your hints! Michael