spartan-3e starter kit and ethernet

Hello,

I recently purchased a spartan-3e starter kit from Xilinx. (I have so far been unimpressed with the reference designs supplied with the kit, but that's another subject...)

I am trying to use the ethernet connector on the board to communicate with a PC, and so far I have been unsuccessful. I do not want to use a soft-core like picoblaze, I just want to be able to communicate using the ethernet port. I looked for a reference design on the internet and the closest I could come up with was the fpga4fun site here:

however, I couldn't get that to work. I also tried using the ethernet ip core from opencores.org, but that doesn't even fit on the device on the starter kit (xc3s500e)

If anyone successfully used the ethernet connector with the spartan-3e starter kit for data communication, I would be grateful if you could provide an example or at least some guidance on how to proceed.

Best regards,

Reply to
hakan.aydin