Spartan 3 documentation confusing...

I still have not completely figured out the pull up resistors on the
Spartan 3 chips.  It would appear that the data sheet has never been
thoroughly reviewed for omissions and errors.  Some of the information
that should be clearly indicated in any number of places is missing
and/or misleading.

"A Low logic level on HSWAP_EN activates the pull-up resistors on all
I/Os during configuration."  Does this include the dedicated
configuration signals?  How about the dual purpose configuration pins?
Or is it just the User IO?

I found this sentance to be especially unenlightening...

"The Dedicated configuration pins (CCLK, DONE, PROG_B, M2, M1, M0,
HSWAP_EN) and the JTAG pins (TDI, TMS, TCK, and TDO) always have a
pull-up resistor to HSWAP_EN during configuration, regardless of the
value on the HSWAP_EN pin."

What does a "pull-up resistor to HSWAP_EN" mean???  Why would TDO have
(or need) a pull up to any value since it is a full time output?

Why does Xilinx make it so hard to get the all important details on a
part that has been in full production for so long?  They just updated
the Spartan 3 data sheet this month!  Why wasn't the information that
they know is lacking included?  I say they know info is lacking because
you can find it in an answer record if you know to look for it.

I may put up a web page detailing all the short comings in the Spartan
3 devices and documentation.

Re: Spartan 3 documentation confusing...
Rick,

Why not just email all of this to Steve Knapp directly?  Or me or Peter
for Virtex parts?

Seems that if you'd like to help us by pointing out anything confusing
or inconsistent, you could get it to the right party in one step.

I agree with you that answers should be scrubbed for any update to a
document.  It is the little things that drive us all crazy.

Austin

Re: Spartan 3 documentation confusing...
I *didn't* address the message to anyone at Xilinx.  This was an open
message to everyone who uses Xilinx parts and might have something to
comment about it.  If you review the other thread on the documentation
shortcomings of the Spartan 3 parts, you will see that at least one
poster has encountered such signficantly difficult to resolve issues
that they consider the solution to be proprietary information.

You are a big proponent of how good a job Xilinx does on support.
Instead of asking why I posted the message, have you considered asking
why a significant issue such as 1 kohm pullup resistors on the
configuration pins remains largely undocumented?  It was only after I
found that confusing sentence shown below that I realized that these
resistors are also on the JTAG pins.  I have been asked repeatedly why
I did not use a pull down resistor on JTAG my board like the other
designs here use.  My answer was that this is what I am used to using.
I nearly changed the design since I had no strong conviction either
way.  Now I realize that if I had used a pull down of typical 1 to 4.7
kohms, the circuit would not have worked at all being biased in an
undefined region.

Come on Austin.  Don't shoot the messenger!  Listen to the message and
work on your internal processes.  If it was important enough to create
an answer record and was not in the data sheet, someone should have
made sure that it found its way into the data sheet in a clear and
accessible manner.

BTW, I still don't know if the configuration pullup resistors are
disabled by the HSWAP_EN signal.  Anyone out there know the answer?  I
really don't know if Xilinx does.  I would love to see a clear and
comprehensive table covering all the pins.

Re: Spartan 3 documentation confusing...
Rick!

Back off -- I am on your side.

I am just asking that you send comments to the appropriate person in
Xilinx (too).

Go ahead and post (it is your time, and your effort).  I don't have a
problem with that.  But, if you post something that can be fixed, at
least give us the oppostunity to fix it.  If we screw up, then OK,
scream and rant, and do whatever makes you feel better.

Its a big company, with many products, and millions (literally) words of
documentation.

I didn't say we were perfect.  In fact I said we were imperfect, and
looking for ways to get better.

I have spent about two hours today trying to identify where in the
process APD and GPD could do better.  I am still trying to find the best
way to attack the problems, and provide the best solutions.  It has long
been an issue with me that tech answers should automatically feed back
into documents, and then have a sunset so they go away after a suitable
time when the docs now have the info (OK to have both for awhile).

That is my job (as a principal engineer) here at Xilinx:  to be an agent
for change (for the better).  It is in my job description.

So, I really appreciate that you post (it directly helps me to fufill my
job responsibilities), but if I don't have to go to the newsgroup to
read it, it makes it even easier for me.  OK if you don't.  I am just
asking (nicely).

Thanks for today's tough task, by the way.

As for "the answer" I can't do that in Spartan land, as I have no easy
access to the chip schematics like I do for Virtex.  If it was Virtex
X+1, I just go to the schematics and dig for awhile.  Sorry I can't do
that for you on this one,

Austin

Re: Spartan 3 documentation confusing...
I found the missing info.  Instead of putting the details along with
the other details in the pin descriptions, the pull ups are mentioned
in the section header which I did not read.  That seems to be the only
info in the section header, the pull ups.  The pins I was researching
were on the following page and so the header was not apparent.

The confusing sentance still stands however.  Whatever the words mean,
I assume it is simply saying that there are pull up resistors on all of
the configuration pins regardless of the state of the HSWAP_EN pin.

I don't know what to make of you Austin.  You certainly don't come
across as a people person.  But thanks for the permission to post here.
 ;^)

Just FYI, I have to fight just as hard in the company where I work to
get people to produce decent documentation.  It's not that it should
always be perfect... we're all human.  But so many people don't feel
documentation matters much.  They think it is all about the product.
But people's lives depend on our products and I am taking that very
seriously.

As to this issue, it almost cost me a pointless board spin; not life
threatening, but certainly that could be career threatening.

As to contacting Steve, I have done that.  I hope that the pull up
issue becomes more widely understood.  The combination of poorly
documented pull ups and the stiff value of these pull ups in the
Spartan 3 devices can make a lot of trouble for a lot of designs.

Re: Spartan 3 documentation confusing...
Rick,

Well, I hope you keep up the comments.

I am seriously trying to improve the documentaion process.

If we explain it right the first time, we get less confusion, and we get
to market faster.

Really very simple, and very self serving:  the better the docs, the
less time wasted, and the faster our customers either gain success, or
fail.  The faster money changes hands.  The faster we succeed (or fail
to succeeed).

It is so simple, yet so many (most) companies get it wrong.

Just make it simple to succeed, and don't get in the way, or make things
any tougher than they already are.

As for my personality, my wife thinks I am completely impossible ('how
can anyone work for you?').  My staff thinks I am the best boss they
every had ('how can your boss deal with you?').  My supervisors love
that I always come to them with a solution to the problem ('how do you
keep your people so happy?').  My (totally grown) kids claim I am
totally mad, and can not be trusted even for a moment ('that's not
fair!').  My grandchildren sense I can be completely trusted to see to
their well being and happiness (which I can be).

So, I have a personality:  guilty as charged.  Member of the human race.

Austin

Re: Spartan 3 documentation confusing...
As long as you brought up your personality, I'll just say that I
remember reading about someone who reminds me of you, Napoleon.  He
thought a lot of himself too.

Re: Spartan 3 documentation confusing...
Rick,

Thanks for the compliment.

Austin

Re: Spartan 3 documentation confusing...
Rickman -

I have no bones to pick with you and I should know better than to dive into
this pissing match between you and Austin, but from your posts on this group
you come of to me as a perpetually exasperated and pissed off person who is
probably not a barrel of laughs to be around. Case in point is all of your
ranting posts about those darn S3 pullups. I don't have a problem with you
being a little pissy now and then, but I do have a problem with you taking
shots at anyone else's personality. Those in glass houses, bro'. By the way,
I disagree with your assessment of Austin's on-line personality. He gets
passionate, but unlike you is almost always curteous (except with Leventis
from Altera).

Rob

Re: Spartan 3 documentation confusing...

I was actually pleasantly impressed with how civil both parties have
been in this discussion.  It's tough being chewed at by anal design
reviewers nitpicking every aspect of your design which requires an
official point-by-point follow up afterward to maintain ISO9001
compliance.  Yeesh!

I still haven't seen definitive answers for rickman's specific issue
which should be able to be answered by the data sheet or supporting
literature.  It's a difficult situation for all parties involved.

I appreciate the restraint shown by all.

Re: Spartan 3 documentation confusing...
John,

I have no issues with Rick - I understand his frustration, and I share
it.  Please do not think poorly of him.  Xilinx did not do him a
service, and he feels compelled to share his experience here.  OK.  At
least Steve got it, and fixed it (which is what counts).  For every
verbal complaint, there are at least ten others too busy to complain (a
basic rule of customer support).

I am actively working every day to improve Xilinx communications to our
customers because it is just darned good business to do so:  faster it
works, faster we get orders.  Just that simple.

But, let us go back to history...

Napoleon was a great leader, and a visionary.  Parks, forests, roads,
and many other things people take for granted in Europe were done by his
command.  The fact that he lost his last battle has left him judged
rather poorly by the English dominated history books.  If he would have
won, the books would vilify the losers!

History is written by the winners.  A good historian recognizes this,
and attempts to place themselves in the loser's shoes, and read all
original accounts, and tries to feret out what facts they can.

To accuse me of being as arrogant as Napoleon was obviously designed to
tweak my nose - I know that.  But in the Zen tradition, I thank Rick for
his gift of Napoleon, and appreciate it all the more for its wisdom.

Merci beaucoup M. Rickman, je vous remercie pour votre compliment.

Reflecting on world history,

Austin

Re: Spartan 3 documentation confusing...

"History will treat me kindly, for I intend to write it"
Winston Churchill.

But I'm not sure the vilification of the loser was unjust that time.

Re: Spartan 3 documentation confusing...
Regarding Napoelon:
France loves him, although he caused misery and the death of hundreds
of thousands of her sons.
The Germans hate him for beating their armies, although he also
terminated the Middle Ages and laid the beginning of the foundation of
the modern German state and its secular laws.

For better or worse, Napoleon left an enormous, and largely positive
heritage.
(I grew up in a house that Napoleon rode by on his way to Moscow...
History is everywhere in Europe.)
Peter Alfke

Re: Spartan 3 documentation confusing...
Rick

TDO is not is not full-time output (or  at least doesnt have to be) TDO is
driven when JTAG TAP is in 'shift'  states and tri-stated otherwise so a
pullup makes sense :)

Antti

Re: Spartan 3 documentation confusing...

[... snip ...]

First, some background.  On Spartan-3, the dedicated configuration
pins, like CCLK, DONE, PROG_B, M2, M1, M0, and HSWAP_EN itself, all
have an internal pull-up resistor to VCCAUX that is active during
configuration, regardless of HSWAP_EN.  After configuration, these pins
have a bitstream generator option that defines their respective
behavior.

All other pins have optional pull-up resistors, controlled by the
HSWAP_EN pin.  When HSWAP_EN=0, these pull-ups are enabled to their
respective I/O Bank voltage supply (such as VCCO_0, VCCO_1, etc.).

What the who!?!  I think the intention was that the "pull-up resistor
connects to VCCAUX", _not_ HSWAP_EN.  I'll see that we get that one
fixed ASAP!

The updates happen periodically.  As various issues are reported by the
Xilinx Technical Support team, we update the documentation to make sure
that you don't bump into any known landmines (okay, not a Marketing
term).  The latest updated changed maybe 0.1% of the verbage.  We
incorporate the latest learning, new ideas, and latest information.
Believe me, we want to make your design experience as pleasant and
trouble-free as possible.

I encourage active feedback.  If something is confusing, please let us
know, as it will likely be confusing to others.  Most of our best
product and documentation ideas come from Xilinx users!  Feel free to
E-mail me directly for Spartan documentation or use the Feedback link
from the Xilinx web site.
http://www.xilinx.com/askx/feedback.htm

---------------------------------
Steven K. Knapp
Applications Manager, Xilinx Inc.
General Products Division
Spartan-3/-3E FPGAs
http://www.xilinx.com/spartan3e
E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@xilinx.com
---------------------------------
The Spartan(tm)-3 Generation:  The World's Lowest-Cost FPGAs.

Re: Spartan 3 documentation confusing...

You might also try educating your FAEs.  I specifically asked my local
FAE about using resistors to set the mode pins ("Why do the app notes
show direct connections to Vcc and Gnd, will resistors work ok?") and
he said that we could use 4.7 kohm resistors.  Clearly this is not a
correct answer.  Based on his reply I almost commited to a design that
would not have worked.

Like I said in my email, the info is mostly in the data sheet.  But
there are many places where it seems to contradict itself and is so
scattered around that it would take a hour or more of intensive
searching to find all the relevant info.  I actually sat down earlier
and did a search on "pull-up" trying to find all the info on the
pullups and the configuration pins.  Even then I missed a few items
like the *only* place in the document where pull-ups on the mode pins
are mentioned, in the header for the pin description section that
covers the configuration pins.

I am asking that you not wait until a frustrated user reports your
mistakes.  I am asking that you have someone look at what it takes to
find all the info that an engineer needs to configure these parts and
make the info consistent and more usable.

Re: Spartan 3 documentation confusing...

Documentation by the designer is notoriously awful,
but to start with, the designer is who is available.
It takes a truly wonderful designer to put himself in the
position of someone encountering his design for the first time.
Just ask the people trying to use my documentation.
Input from frustrated users is necessary.
I don't have the information to know whether the documentation
for this part is as good as it could be given the user input.

Re: Spartan 3 documentation confusing...

Wouldn't that depend on the designer???

No, it just takes someone who is familiar with the process of
documentation.  One of the big problems with documentation is that they
let amateurs do it.  By amateurs, I mean they teach designers how to
design, but not how to document.  I have worked places where the
documentation was done by a separate group of documentation experts.
They did not have the detailed technical knowledge of the designer, but
they knew the process and had the designer as a resource to draw on.

Other companies are engineering focused and so document from the
perspective of an engineer who often, by the time the documentation is
being done, is getting tired of the program and doesn't like
documentation anyway.  The result is a poor document with little peer
review (or review by peers who also don't get it).

Only necessary if produce poor documentation in the first place.

It is pretty obvious that they dropped the ball in a couple of
respects.  Even once the document was published, there were calls into
support about some of the configuration issues which resulted in an
answer record a year ago.  Clearly someone at Xilinx knew that there
was a shortcoming in the documentation to have produced this.  But that
shortcoming was never corrected in the data sheet.  Lack of internal
communication perhaps?  One group pointing out a problem and another
group in denial?  I can't say.  I just know I had a very hard time
finding all the data on configuring the parts and I am still not sure I
have it right.

Re: Spartan 3 documentation confusing...

If they guy making development board for a part would not have
access to anything except the datasheet, then maybe there would be
improvements.

Documentation is improved if it can be measured against a standard
on what the documentation should contain.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

It's stunning how bad IC documentation is, and not just Xilinx. The
use of the passive voice ("the enable input, when asserted..."  Who
the hell pulls it high, or maybe low, me or the chip?) and the
persistant refusal to distinguish between levels and edges are two
especially annoying lapses. The guys who do mixed-level stuff, like
serial ADCs, are extra bad.

Who *writes* this stuff?

John

Site Timeline