Sigma-Delta A/D

Hallo, is there anybody who can help me to find out the scheme of a 16-bit delta-sigma adc?

I have already made some searches into google but I don't have found interesting informations.

Many Thanks Marco Toschi

Reply to
Marco

Symon

Very Good!!!

Many Thanks Marco

Reply to
Marco

Now I'm trying to implement the sigma delta a/d. The range of my analog input will be from 0 to 3.3V

Here the scheme of delta sigma modulator:

_______ ________ __________ Analog In --|diff.amp.|---|Integrator|---|Comparator|----> dig.filter --| | | | |with gnd | | | | | ________ | ---------| 1-bit dac|------------------------- | |

It's not clear the function of 1-bit DAC. If it's only 1 bit it should be as a switch, so, in my case, a comparator connected to ground. And also diff.amp should be a comparator?

I think I'm making a mistake.

Could you explain where is wrong?

Many Thanks Marco

Reply to
Marco

Marco skrev:

your scheme is hard to read, you probably used tabs instead of spaces. the DAC should output 0v and 3.3V, your comparator should have a 3.3/2=

1.65V reference

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

To answer another of Marco's questions, the diff. amp should not be a comparator. It must have a linear output and will usually be based on an op. amp.

Regards, John

Reply to
John Monro

Is it possible to use 2 LVDS pins?

Marco

Reply to
Marco

An.In --|diff.amp.|--|Integrator|--|Comparator|-+- dig.filt +-| | | | |with gnd | | | | | ________ | ------------| 1-bit dac|------------------- | |

Sorry, I hope this would be more clear

Reply to
Marco

You could see a clear picture at the following link:

The integrator can be made with a 1-bit accumulator?

And differential amplifier can be made using a IBUFDS?

Many Thanks Marco

Reply to
Marco

Marco schrieb:

Look for US Patents 6,351,145 and 6,246,258 at

They are about implementing ADCs by using differential FPGA inputs as analog comparators.

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma

Marco, I am afraid not. While the input circuit is differential, the rest of a LVDS buffer is optimised for digital performance, and not for the characteristics we require in a good operational amplifier. A LVDS buffer would make a worse integrator than the cheapest op. amp. so why bother?

Regards, John

Reply to
John Monro

Hi John, sorry for my terrible scheme.

Please watch the picture at the link:

That should be more clear.

I thought that I could replace the 1-bit dac using a LVCMOS25 out pin (without dac because it is only 1 bit) and connecting it to the negative input of LVDS25.

What do you think about it?

Is it possible?

Many Thanks Marco

Reply to
Marco

You need to do some simple maths:

16 bits on 3.3V, is a LSB of ~50uV, so if you want to achieve 16 bit ADC performance, your system must be able to resolve to 16 bits.

In operation, think of a SD-ADC as simply a charge balancing system, that makes a heap of Go-Up / Go-Down decisions ( one every clock) and then totals (average) those over a great many clocks.

It relies on the integrator being good enough, that it really does charge balance.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Jim Granville skrev:

Assuming the threshhold for LVCMOS inputs are close to Vcco/2 with little hysteresis and LVCMOS outputs are close to 0-Vcco outputs. I wonder how well something like this would work?

| FPGA R R | /| Vin >--/\/\/--+--/\/\/--|-| |-- | | \| | | | | |\ +---------|-| |-- | | |/ === | |C _|_

If the Vcco for the bank is from a seperate source, how well will it be isolated from the rest?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

That will work, but nowhere near 16 bits - this is good for in the region of 5-8 bits. [We have used this for Low res designs ]

Problems are Vth is part of the Eqn, and the simple RC lacks the long term memory of a true integrator, so you find that linearity at the extreme ends is quite poor. ie it is not true charge-balancing

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Marco, Unfortunately, the DAC output voltage needs to be very well defined and noise-free, even though it is derived from a one-bit value, and no digital output is able to achieve this.

I don't think there is any chance of realising CD-quality (16-bit) audio by trying to make a digital chip perform any analog functions at all. Digital noise on the ground and supply lines for example make it a hopeless job at the quality level you want.

If it is essential to use a single chip, you could investigate the Lattice Semiconductor programmable combined analog/digital chips.

Regards, John

Reply to
John Monro

I understand... so a way to do it could be buying a analog devices ad7400 (isolated sigma delta modulator (1 bit out)) and building the digital filter into the fpga to obtain 16 bit output data.

What do you think about it?

Reply to
Marco

I think you should ring up Analog Devices, TI, AKM or Cirrus and buy a $2 ADC that'll kick the ass out of anything you can bodge up in your FPGA. An I2S interface is about six lines of VHDL.

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters

That works just fine, and it can be done in a small FPGA with careful design. I did an 8 channel one in an XC2S15 using external DS modulators.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930     Fax 401/884-7950

                                          -Benjamin Franklin, 1759
Reply to
Ray Andraka

Ray Andraka skrev:

I wonder what the intended application is for the ad7400, why the isolation, why only the DS modulator wouldn't most people get a whole ADC when they have to add a chip anyway?

Why did you use it instead of a full ADC, Ray?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt