Rocketio connection Virtex2pro-Virtex4

Hi everyone,

Could someone with experience or simulation tools provide information on the hardware requirements to interconnect Virtex2pro and Virtex4 with rocketio at 2.5Gb/s. The simpler the better, DC if possible and if not AC. I'd like to know the termination voltages and anything needed on the lines. v2prov2pro and V4V4 works. I can't get the proper setup to run a bert test V4 to v2pro (v2pro to V4 is easier) so if you have a working setup I'd be glad if you could describe it.

Thanks,

Best regards,

Jeremie

PS: If someone feels like describing his V5 setup I'm sure that will be useful for many people.

Reply to
Jeremie

A little late response but I'd be interested to know if you have made progress on this issue. I unfortunately cannot provide help yet but we will soon (in 2 weeks) have to connect a V4 to a V2Pro through RocketIO (Aurora) in the lab.

Regarding the BERT core from the Chipscope serial IO toolkit, I read the manual but I don't see how I could use this to test a V4-V2Pro connection unfortunately. Actually, it seems limited to a single FPGA. I don't see how to control two FPGAs from one Chipscope interface...

Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Dubois

Hi Patrick, As far as I know, you need to use two PC's or else you need a PC with a parallel port cable and a USB cable and open up two Chipscope Analyzers on the same PC. Good luck..

-- parag

Reply to
beeraka

No reason it shouldn't work. Just make sure the voltage swing and impedance is compatible (via measurement - your actual levels can vary quite a lot from the datasheet numbers depending on your layout).

I suggest series caps for an AC coupling. It'll eliminate the need to make DC offset compatible.

You can pick a physical layer standard to model - e.g. Infiniband or Fibre Channel - to make it easier to derive parameters. For example the V4 wizard has an entry for Fibre Channel, so if you pick that and test to those levels (with a 50-ohm impedance) you'll be in good shape.

Be sure to test each separately to a dummy load (e.g. 50-ohm resistors to ground); that will let you look at each transmitter waveform so you can verify they look good (if your layout person is ambitious you can lay out the resistors perpendicular to the series caps and share a pad; then you can populate the resistors, do your initial tests, remove the resistors and populate the caps for real operation - save a layout spin).

Note: if you haven't worked with the V4 transceivers before, you're in for a fun ride...

ken

Reply to
Ken Ryan