rocketio

Hi, I would like some help from roketio users to find what is the maximum realizable freq we can get out of it. I hear that although it supports upto

3.125Ghz, you can only get only upto 2.5Ghz. Also, can I get any eval board which has charaterized the performance. Thanks much

Thomas

Reply to
news.verizon.net

The RocketIO MGTs in the Virtex-II Pro family have a bandwidth up to

3.125 Gbps (not GHz) using the -6 and -7 speed grades and flipchip (FF) packages. The slower -5 speed grade is rated for 2.000 Gbps and the wirebond (FG) packages are rated for 2.50 Gbps.

Our Virtex-II Pro X and Virtex-4 families have higher bandwidth RocketIO MGTs and can operate above 10 Gbps.

You can purchase the board (HW-V2P-ML321) that is used for RocketIO characterization through any Xilinx distributor or through our online store at

in addition to the ML321 with a XC2VP7-FF672-6C device we also sell the HW-V2P-ML323 with a XC2VP50-FF1152-6C device and the HW-V2P-ML325 with a XC2VP70-FF1704-6C device, both of which can also be found in our online store.

Ed

Reply to
Ed McGettigan

Virtex 4 can do up to 11.1Gb/s to be exact.

--

Wing Wong.
Reply to

"news.verizon.net" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:DZK_d.4272$uw6.817@trnddc06...

upto

board

3.125 Gbit/s, not GHz. This is the line data rate. Effective data rate is only 2.5 Gbits/s due to line encoding using 8B/10B encoder (encodes 8 data bits into 10 data bits to guarantee a constant DC level and transition density) Virtex4 supports also 64B/66B encoding (which is much more effcient).

Regards Falk

Reply to
Falk Brunner

Falk,

You could decide to scramble the data and not use 8B10B, but then you would have to be sure your scrambling never violated run length, or DC imbalance issues, and you could live with scrambling multiplying a single error into to more than one.

That way you could actually get 3.125 Gbs in V2 Pro, or 10 Gb/s in V2 Pro-X, or 10 Gbs in V4.

Aust> "news.verizon.net" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Reply to
austin

"austin" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:d1hqit$ snipped-for-privacy@cliff.xsj.xilinx.com...

Hmmm, since scrambling works reasonable well (all long distance traffic on fiber optics is SONET/SDH) so it is a good option. But maybe a soft 64B/66B encoder (V2P) let you sleep much more relaxed and so its worth the silicone.

Regards Falk

Reply to
Falk Brunner

Thanks for all the response. There is a very good app note(xapp681) from xilinx by John Snow bypassing MGT 8B/10B used as HD Receiver. Source code included. Thomas

Reply to
Thomas

Falk,

I agree. Making your own link format, data protocol, etc. is a big project. Best to use a standard.

Also, don't use silicone.

Austin

Reply to
austin

Are you sure about that 11 Gbps figure?

I've just had a look to the latest 'ug' from Xilinx

and still says it can run up to 10.3125 Gbps... so... a pity that they are missing OTU2 (10.709 Gbps). This implies you still need an LIU between your optics and your V4 if you want to go up to OTU2, doh! It will support OC192... probably with the xpensive/fastest speed grade.

--
I.U. Hernandez
" I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me,

11.1 was quoted at a xilinx conference I was attending last week.
--

Wing Wong.
Reply to

it can

(10.709

your V4 if

with the

shows lots of hits for 11.1 Gbps. In fact, it seems the only thing saying 10.3125 Gbps is the most important document of them all, the ten day old V4 RocketIO user guide.

BTW, I wouldn't be so quick to use this for OC-192 rate SONET applications... you'll notice the below two pdf's go out of their way to say that the V4 RocketIO is _OC-48_ compliant:

If it were OC-192 compliant, I suspect they'd be bragging about it.

Have fun,

Marc

Reply to
Marc Randolph

Hopefully any of the Xilinx guys in this group can enlighten us a little bit...

Regards,

--
I.U. Hernandez
" I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me,
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
I. Ulises Hernandez

Marc,

Thanks for pointing me to the XCell paper, they seem to be claiming it's OC-48 complaint... and it makes you doubt about OC-192 if they are not shouting it from the roof tops... it could be jitter in the tx direction or something.

As you said, there are lots of 11.1 Gbps figures but suddenly in their last and most recent datasheet no more 11.1Gbps, only 10.3125 Gbps...

Regards,

--
I.U. Hernandez
" I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me,
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
I. Ulises Hernandez

Virtex-4 is not OC-192 compliant. The Sonet specifications have extremely tight specifications that are very difficult to meet with a universal transceiver. Virtex-4 is OC-48 compliant as we have the necessary margins to meet the specs due to the design needs for 10 Gbps.

Ed

Reply to
Ed McGettigan

Hello all

I am working on a Virtex4 design and need to use RocketIO. Is there

sample design based on Virtex4 RocketIO that I can leverage on. could not find any info in the Xilinx website other than the Virtex RocketIO user guide

Thanks

Ajit

Reply to
ajithroy