Re: Microblaze and MBLite

Mark Curry wrote: []

>My goal is to connect >>the MBLite opencore processor to the Xilinx Microblaze. The problem is that >>MBLite support only Wishbone bus as interface or the Microblaze can support >>FSL and PLB Bus.
[]

you'd need to find bridges to a commonly supported bus. IIRC on opencores there are bridges from/to wishbone/amba.

> You'll have to give a few more details. Just what are you trying to do? > Perusing the opencores website, I see that the MBlite is just an open > source version of the Microblaze itself. It's probably not > identical but close enough the the Xilinx Microblaze. Looks like > whomever created it wanted a mblaze in Altera FPGAs.

The rationale behind the MBlite is to provide a platform which is 'lite' w.r.t. the MicroBlaze and open such that research groups can play with it freely.

Not all MicroBlaze OPCODES are supported, but is highly configurable, with options to include/exclude hardware as needed. We are currently using it with the addition of an hardware FPU.

Al

Reply to
alb

that

port

?

Hi, Thank for your help. It's clear now that i must use a bridge PLB to wishbone for connecting the MB Lite to Microblaze. I have a question about how programming and execute a C code for MBLite on FPGA? because I'm using the EDK and I want to compile and execute a C code to MBLite, knowing that for Microblaze, it is easy because this later suppo rt the LMB Bus to connect to the local memory but how can I do this for MB Lite in the EDK?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
mariam.makni

Hi Mariam, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: []

I do not know EDK so I cannot help you here. We are using gcc for microblaze (microblaze-xilinx-elf-4.1.1) and created simple software utilities to convert the binary image into memory mapping (see opencores trunk, under sw).

That works well with simulation, so you can compile a piece of software and run it in your sim. How to load the memory mapping onto your physical memory I cannot help because it depends on your interface. We transfer program image into memory via 1553.

HTH,

Al

Reply to
alb

Thanks a lot for your reply. So, do you use ISE xilinx instead of EDK to run an application for MBLite?

Reply to
Mariem Makni

Hi Mariem, Mariem Makni wrote: []

My target is a Microsemi device, nothing to do with Xilinx. For that matter I try not to use Integrated Environments as much as possible.

If I want to run the application in a simulation I simply map the memory content I use the following:

mem load -infile rom.mem -format hex /imem/ram mem load -infile rom0.mem -format hex /dmem/mem__0/mem mem load -infile rom1.mem -format hex /dmem/mem__1/mem mem load -infile rom2.mem -format hex /dmem/mem__2/mem mem load -infile rom3.mem -format hex /dmem/mem__3/mem

in my *.do file for ModelSim.

Otherwise I use the binary content of rom?.mem files and load them at the appropriate address in my memory through 1553.

Al

Reply to
alb

te?

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation and guidance.

Reply to
Mariem Makni