Microblaze 7.0 on V2pro?

Hello all,

Is MicroBlaze 7.0 compatible with Virtex-II Pro devices? XPS 9.2.02 doesn't seem to offer it as an option, but I haven't found any documentation which confirms specifically one way or the other whether support exists or is planned for the future.

[The rest of this message is just what I *have* manage to find; the short answer is "nothing conclusive".]

The Xilinx press release for XPS says "XPS 9.2 supports MicroBlaze and PowerPC processing design for Virtex-5, Virtex-4, Virtex-II Pro, and Spartan(TM)-3 FGPAs." -- this seems to imply that it supports MicroBlaze on Virtex-II Pro, though obviously it can't support PPC on V5 or S3...

The microblaze sell sheet only mentions Virtex-5, Virtex-4, and Spartan-3 as target families, though it doesn't explicitly exclude any others.

None of the technical documentation (like the Reference Manual) mentions which families MicroBlaze is supported on or for which families support is planned. I've had a look through the Xilinx website and forums, and searched the comp.arch.fpga archive, and found nothing.

Reply to
Philip Potter

microblaze is entirely soft so it works on any xilinx fpga. but why would you want to use a 100mhz microblaze instead of a 300mhz powerpc? (or do you want to use an xc2vp2?)

alan nishioka

Reply to
Alan Nishioka

Philip,

In the Microblaze users guide

page 94, it details how any device listed is supported (by 7.0), and V2 Pro is on that list.

Additionally, many statements are made that old code may be run on the new core (full backward compatibility is assured).

The latest released version is the one suggested for any new application (as is the general policy for all cores, software, and IP).

Is there a specific concern you have?

Austin

Reply to
austin

(I think you mean page 91?) Thank you! I had seen that, but it didn't quite register the first time.

As I said, XPS 9.2.02 doesn't seem to let me instantiate a MicroBlaze when my project is set for xc2vp30; I took this to mean MicroBlaze is not available for that device family. It seems though I can work around this by changing to V4, instantiating microblaze and changing back again.

FWIW, I'm interested in Microblaze as part of a research project into automated design of DSP circuits, and I'm investigating what situation (if any) Microblaze would be an appropriate solution. I have an XUP board with an xc2vp30 so it would be nice to be able to target this.

Phil

Reply to
Philip Potter

Philip,

Let me check.

Might be a bug.

Austin

Reply to
austin

austin schrieb:

It seems that, for many cores in EDK 9.2i, the VirtexII and VirtexII-Pro are marked as not supported device families. This is true for the most up to date core revisions (like MB 7.0), the older revisions still support V2 and V2P.

Are they supported again in EDK 10.x?

Or does Xilinx drop support for "old" device families to sell more of the more recent ones?

-Markus

Reply to
Markus

Markus,

I am trying to find out what the story is.

One point is that "if" a new release of uBlaze supported all older products, that would actually be a tremendous amount of work (of potentially very little value). This might be the reality: the latest and greatest uBlaze is really just for the latest and greatest silicon.

If you need an older uBlaze for an older part, they are all still archived.

The code is still backward compatible, however. That verification is extremely valuable, so there is a reason to perform that step on all new releases.

So, until I get the 'official' word, I have to wait and see.

Austin

Reply to
austin

Philip,

So, here is the answer:

"Bottom line - not a bug, no intention of dropping V2Pro support, all better in 10.1."

Turns out, we just haven't done all the work needed to support V7.0 in V2Pro in 9.x, and that work is scheduled for the next release. The "worst case scenario" of 'not supported' is not the case, and I am impressed with the work these folks do to provide such a degree of support.

Austin

Reply to
austin

Austin,

Thanks very much for your reply. This is most reassuring!

Philip

Reply to
Philip Potter