Re: ANNOUNCE: TimingAnalyzer version beta 0.87

I'm not trying to bust anyone's balls. But this guy has been

>cluttering up a number of newsgroups, Yahoo groups and who knows where >else with his frequent postings. I don't object to his making it >known that there is a new product on the market. I get tired of >seeing his, sometimes bi-weekly, announcements that a new version is >out there. If anyone is looking for a timing analyzer then he will >already be easy to find. If anyone wants to know the current status >of his program he has a web site. > >I just think that a lot of people, here and elsewhere, don't so much >"think" about a topic like this, they justify what they "feel". How >would people "feel" if every vendor came here to advertise, announce >new products, new features or even just to solicit comments and >advice? I remember awhile back there were some job postings and it >was rather contentious whether that was considered acceptable. For >the most part people had no logical justification for wanting to allow >that sort of post. They just tried to rationalize their feelings, "if >you were out of work, you would welcome those posts" sort of >thing. > >Well my feelings are that I get tired of seeing advertising in this >group and elsewhere. I moderate multiple Yahoo groups and have made a >real effort to exclude the spam. Don't you think these groups would >be better served with less spam? > >Rick

Spam is going to part of the internet for the foreseeable future, and unmoderated newsgroups are always going to be subject to unwanted intrusions. I suggest you learn to use killfiles and ignore settings rather than harp on anybody who comes along that might have a product relevant to the group, because that's not going to stop. People can make their own decisions and clearly, as in this case, some people do like getting the information.

For this particular case I think he's been exceptional in that he's looking for (and getting, and responding to) feedback to make his product better. Would that all vendors in relevant fields would do this.

Eric Jacobsen Minister of Algorithms Abineau Communications

Blog:

Eric Jacobsen

If I understand your post correctly, you are making two points. The first is that since it is impossible to stop all spam, that we should not try to stop *any* spam posts, is that correct? That is, when otherwise reputable companies use spam to promote their products, we should just shrug our shoulders and consider this part of the Internet landscape?

The second point I think you are making is that you have a personal feeling that this particular spammer should be allowed because you don't find his posts offensive. Is that correct?

So just to be clear on this, you don't have a problem with all embedded related vendors coming to these newsgroups and posting advertising, marketing, update announcements or asking for "opinions" on their latest products. Is that right?

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Thanks for putting that more clearly than I could.

Jerry

Jerry Avins

Asking opinions can be a marketing ploy. Political and public-interest organizations often include a questionnaire with low-key appeals for a donation. Dan is different. He has actually acted on the suggestions he got, to the point that he has produced new (and improved) versions that incorporate most of them. In fact, those new versions account for the profusion of announcements. Yhe longer this thread grows, the more inclined I become to cheer him on.

Jerry

Jerry Avins

=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF= =AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF=AF

Anyone who (1) develops a tool that is useful, at least in principal, to the majority of people doing digital design, (2) listens to and applies feedback derived from these postings, and (3) offers a free version (limited or not), would seem to be entirely justified in posting to at least those few groups I've seen these posts in (comp.lang.vhdl in particular).

In fact, I find a number of arguably more topical, yet grossly stupid, posts to be much more annoying than these. I have in mind those posts that (to paraphrase) say "I need a VHDL module for an advanced multiresolution wavelet homotopy-modulated Fourier domain analyser. I forget how to use Google. I can also barely understand how to multiply single digit integers. Please send me the source code and hold my hand as I make an ass of myself."

Just my two cents.

- Kenn

Reply to
kennheinrich

I didn't say that, no. You've read a lot into my statements that's not there. Feel free to re-read.

I wouldn't find ANY posts offensive that led to product improvement for tools useful to the newsgroup. How would that be off-topic? Feel free to re-read the last paragraph in my previous post.

That's not what I said. Again, feel free to re-read the post to which you're responding. Especially useful to you might be the part about ignoring or killfiling sources that you personally don't want to have to deal with.

Usenet is not, and has never been, a utopia of electronic discourse. The reality is that there will be objectionable and useless posts regardless of what anyone does. There also won't always be agreement on whether certain posts are useful or objectionable, and this case is a pretty good example of that, evidently.

There's off topic spam (e.g., clothing sales ads in technical groups), there are trolls, and there are worthwhile contributions, and there's everything in between. I think what you're seeing is that there are folks who find the case in point to be in the on-topic and worthwhile category. Why should that be an issue?

Eric Jacobsen Minister of Algorithms Abineau Communications

Blog:

 * Synchronet * The Whitehouse BBS --- whitehouse.hulds.com --- check it out
free usenet!
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Win32 NewsLink 1.92
Eric Jacobsen