Can Strong Magnets Effect your health?

A friend of mine says his hands get sore after a few hours of working with very strong rare-earth magnets. Does this sound right? Can magnetic fields do us harm?

Hardy

Reply to
HardySpicer

If you get your finger caught between two strong magnets, they can hurt you.

Magnets are a hard cold metal object. Just handling such things can do you are if you are pounding your hand with them. The fact that they may be cold may make some peoples hands hurt.

Reply to
MooseFET

Everyone who gets in an MRI will die eventually.

Reply to
Eric Gisse

Shelling corn be hand have the same effect.

Reply to
Sam Wormley

If you get your finger caught between two strong magnets, they can hurt you.

Magnets are a hard cold metal object. Just handling such things can do you are if you are pounding your hand with them. The fact that they may be cold may make some peoples hands hurt.

They (rare earth magnets) also cause major problems if children swallow them - particularly if they swallow more than one. The magnets can stick to one another with bits of gut tissue trapped in between them.

Reply to
Nutz

How hard are corn shells ??

don

Reply to
don

You should try it and find out!

Reply to
Sam Wormley

???only if you find magents to be attractive???

Reply to
Robert Baer

Do you mean can really strong magnetic files rip electrons off of atoms?

Reply to
Sam Wormley

atoms?

I mean can it have an effect on say the iron in your blood?

Reply to
HardySpicer

On 04/05/2009 08:16 PM, HardySpicer sent:

Hello Hardy:

At least one well known U.S. national laboratory ES&H department, establishes an /approximate/ eight hour maximum exposure if subjected to

60 mT (milli-Tesla). 60 mT = 600 G (Gauss).

However, I believe the effects of continued exposure *may* not be clearly known yet.

Your friend, of course, should not have any implanted medical devices.

If magnetic field measurement equipment is immediately available, what is the maximum strength of these typical magnets in question?

Best wishes,

Pete

--
1PW  @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]
Reply to

Maybe the plating on the magnets contains a metal that he is allergic to? Nickel, perhaps?

--
RoRo
Reply to

How about Hall or MHD effects in the body fluids, or just inducing the currents in the moving parts?

Vladimir Vassilevsky

If you have a small metal sliver in your eye (type attracted to magnets) from metal working, and you take an MRI test it can do you a lot of harm.

Reply to
spamfreecompdsp

According to

cell phones are a problem too. Isn't it remarkable they radiate strongly when receiving, right on an absorption band!

Jerry

Jerry Avins

Only proper nutrition and exercise can effect health. There is a difference between effect and affect.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Yes, it can. Erythrocytes (red blood cells), like magnetic bacteria, have a net magnetic moment in an external applied field. Strong magnetic fields cause your red blood cells to line up with their long axis along the field. This would be OK except that the finest capillaries are too small for red blood cells to go through sideways, so it reduces circulation quite seriously.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

Spehro Pefhany

I don't think anyone really knows the answer to this. Folks have pooh-poohed cellular effects of low-power electromagnetic waves for a long time, but it turns out that new treatments for brain signal disorders (like Parkinson's) involve levels of low-power EM radiation are showing significant positive results despite "not being able to". Likewise, magnetic bracelets and shoe inserts have been on the fringe- appeal market for a long time, encouraging derision from both physiologists and physicists. Recently, however, some repeatable studies have shown enhanced immune response and circulation in regions where there is a strong applied magnetic field.

Reply to
PD

We Wish! As is usual with humans, a few people are rather sensitive to magnetic fields, but I've never heard of the sensitivity going beyond just noticing it or being a bit uncomfortable. But who knows what long-term exposure could do? Maybe nothing, maybe more. Pretty hard to test. A number of medical problems could be made a lot simpler if the body readily responded to magnetic fields of some type, but all experiments I've seen seem to show that the body is amazingly insensitive to ether DC or variable magnetic fields even when quite strong.

Hence when you get an MRI you actually don't die nor scream hideously as the magnetic fields penetrate your body... (in fact, when I had one I was rather hoping I'd detect perhaps some "sounds" being generated in the brain or ears, but while the high field modulation coils are noisy sound-wise, I could detect no such direct field action from them on the body).

Reply to
Benj