Rant mode ON

You might want to look into a *great* utility called "wget".

It's probably comes standard on every modern FreeBSD/Linux implementation, but not many people in the Windows world know about it...

See this for a command-line vanilla Windows version:

and see this for a Visual Basic GUI wrap-around:

If you use the plain-vanilla command-line version, just launch like this:

wget -c

-c tells it to continue if a download is aborted...this way if your modem drops, when you re-connect, just re-issue wget -c and it'll continue where the file was chopped off.

Also, as other people have suggested, the path of least resistance really is to get an el-cheapo NIC and stick it in. It's not elegant, it's not "right" but it's the fastest way to get what you want.

Thanks! TR.

Reply to
John

I need to vent a little steam. So at risk of making myself look stupid (or more stupid) I will do it here.

I have been trying to get the Quartus 3.0 software and a license since last Thursday. I tried three times over the weekend to download it, but the slow modem link I have to use would not complete the entire transfer without a problem. I think I have that licked as my brother tells me he has downloaded it for me.

But I have been trying to get a license file that does not require an Ethernet interface and am getting nowhere. I have received several emails from Altera people who say that they support this and I need to contact my local FAE or the main office. I have tried to do both. All of the FAEs I know are either on vacation or in California at training. Calling both 800 numbers has gotten me nowhere since I reach people who are the "first line" and always have to refer it to someone else. I have left about half a dozen voice mails, sent easily a dozen emails, spoken with two types of support and still I have not heard back from anyone at Altera about this.

Right now I have been holding for about 15 minutes waiting for a third number to connect me with a person. I know that if I was this hard to get ahold of no one would *ever* buy any of my products!

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

Geeze .... I'm glad altera doesn't waste valuable time on your problem , they have real work to do. They have standardized on the ethernet interface, if you have a desktop spend $15 and buy one, if you have a laptop without one you may have to spend twice that on a USB version or something. You must have lots of time and little work.

Reply to
CB

"rickman" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com...

Get a download manager like Gozilla or something. The can resume a aboarded download.

-- Regards Falk

Reply to
Falk Brunner

Why not take the ethernet card and attack the connector with wirecutters? You get a MAC address but the net don't work. :)

Nicholas C. Weaver
  1. Especially if the problem at hand is that easy to solve, altera should help them out. If a company reacts like that to simple problems I would get suspicious what happens if something serious goes wrong. (BTW.: I had very similar problems with Xilinx in germany.)

  1. I always thought that ethernet based protection is particulary useless as one can

- install the software inside a virtual machine with any virtual MAC address one likes

- write a dummy driver that tells the system that a deactivated NIC with the MAC address of choice is present in the system.

The only protection mechanism that is even more useless is volume-ID base protection.

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma

At this point there is no reason. Altera has provided a license file keyed to the HDD SN. I was also told that this will be added to the web site in the near future just as they have for MaxPlusII.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

Yes, I very much should use a program like that. In the past I have preferred not to add more and more utilities to do a job. Often it can cause problems which are hard to pinpoint. But I think this is one case where it is well worth the effort.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

My concern is that once installed, I will have no way to control it if I don't want to use it for some files. I remember Netscape adding something like this (or I added some download, I can't remember which). There were times I did not want it to pop up and could not find a way to turn it off. It also showed ads while running.

Anyone know of a review of download utilities that would help me pick one?

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

but

transfer

he

aboarded

I've tried two or three and now use Download Accelerator Plus.

Leon

--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
leon_heller@hotmail.com