query!! need help!!

hi, am Pavan working on a project in India. I am stuck with a problem. i

hope one of u can clear it. before continuing ill tell u my project in brief. I am basically a fresh graduate. i love working on microcontrollers. but i would like to know which one would be better for my application. my application goes this way. i need to collect analog inputs convert into a digital format using a A/D convertor and use the digital data to do some calculations and based on the value send a signal to the output which changes state from one to the other. also i need to interface display and some keypad. so i thought a microcontroller with internal A/D convertor and memory is sufficient. But now i ve heard about this FPGA concepts and i

would like to know which would be better. And also please mention some of the advantages of using FPGA over the microcontroller. hoping to get an answer soon. Thanking you

yours truly Pavan.

Reply to
pavan

but you missed the most important information - how fast?

sample rate of Hz? kHz? MHz? how many operations for your calculation? (anything other than add/mult involved?)

if it fits into a microcontroller then stick to it - its easier

bye, Michael

Reply to
Michael Schöberl

How fast do you need things to happen? You mention a digital output: all the others are human-interface, hence not "fast". At human speeds (& a lot more!), a small microcontroller (eg AVR) has an in-built multi-channel ADC, & all the processing you need, for about $3. Can't get near that in a FPGA. FPGA's are the ting if you want awesome speed: you will need a separate ADC, & the high-speed ones come expensive. Looks like you don't need them.

Reply to
David R Brooks