Power extimation?

Hi All, How to manually estimate dynamic power consumption of the design in the FPGA? Thanks in advance, Raghavendra.S

Reply to
Raghavendra

Xilinx has a power estimator utility for their parts. Some other vendors may have suggestions as well. try contacting their FAE's. By default their are no "one-size-fits-all" models, only estimations, worse/best case etc.

FPGA?

Reply to
fabbl

Hi Raghavendra,

You can access Xilinx's Spreadsheet Power Tools and Web Power Tool (WPT) here :

That web-site also provides information on our desktop power estimation application XPower - which is part of ISE.

Regards,

Brendan

Raghavendra wrote:

Reply to
Brendan Cullen

Raghavendra, When using Altera parts, you have a few options:

  1. This web page:
    shows the various online calculators that we have for our devices. These are spreadsheet-based; you enter information about your usage of the device, such as fmax, LE count, IO standard used, and so forth. It reports your power consumption, and also gives some information about whether the package you have chosen can dissipate the heat that will be generated.

  1. Quartus II software generates a file based on your design which includes the info needed to populate the spreadsheet. If you have already compiled your design, you do not need to manually enter the info, instead you can just take the file from Quartus II. This procedure is explained in the "Early Power Estimation" chapter of the Quartus II Handbook:

  2. Quartus II software includes a simulation-based power estimation tool. This takes your simulation vectors into account when estimating power. This tool is described in the "Simulation-based Power Estimation" chapter of the Quartus II handbook:

Sincerely, Greg Steinke Altera Corporation

Reply to
Greg Steinke

Launch XPower from Xlinx project navigator, if you're using Xilinx.

Reply to
William Wallace