Periodically delayed clock

You think you're funny, Rick C. You are not.

nd?

I did that work in 2015. I recounted it from what I had saved at that time in my git repository, and in my reviewing it on-the-spot after posting her e I concluded incorrectly that it was wrong from that timeframe. As it tur ns out, the way it was back then was correct, and I had thought things thro ugh properly.

I'm so tired of people telling me that I have to do things the way everyone else does in order to be successful. The truth is you DO NOT if you're go od enough, if you have enough vision and follow-through. Things that are f undamental in nature's design rise up and speak for themselves in any proje ct. There are a host of people moving forward all the time who come up wit h new ways of doing old things better than the old ways.

I've looked at the requirements of learning the tools that exist and I see variances and issues in the way things are coded, things that could be done away with, merged, rethought, refactored, improved upon, etc., and that's what I plan to do with Logician, to bring in a more common base of natural intuitive understanding from the way people think, and the way things are a nd exist fundamentally, without having to learn the mechanisms established in the industry previously where they don't make sense. Some of it is trul y archaic and could use a fresh perspective.

Without people willing to help me in THAT effort of looking at fundamentals and rebuilding from the ground up for the future, I'll go it alone with sa dness, and the lot of you can benefit from the product I ultimately produce if you so desire. If not, no worries. No harm, no foul.

I will NEVER EVER EVER say something negative to anyone in such a way as to smash or diminish their hopes, dreams, or goals. Any goals which are trul y off-the-charts ludicrous will have that fact revealed on the journey, and for some people (possibly myself included), that's the ONLY way they'll EV ER learn. But for the rest, beating someone down like that is horrific.

To rise up with a negative voice and squelch someone in their heartfelt, en thusiastic, honest, reaching-out, sincere efforts ... it's akin to the wors t kind of criminal behavior one person can do to another. It damages thing s on the inside which can never be undamaged. It cuts and produces scars t hat remain for life, impacting countless other areas of their life for the rest of their life.

May God's light shine upon each of our souls the light of truth and hope, a nd so brightly that all darkness is ended within each of us.

--
Rick C. Hodgin
Reply to

You have a very strange way of thanking people who give you sound advice. No one has suggested you don't learn to run - merely that you learn to walk first. No one has suggested that you should not dream, or reach for the stars - merely that jumping off a cliff is not a good way to learn to fly.

Lashing out at people who try to help, and insulting them in such hyperbolic terms is not going to make your projects progress any faster. It is just going to mean fewer people to help you on your way.

And for someone who says they will "NEVER EVER EVER say something negative to anyone", you really do write impressively strongly worded and highly negative posts sometimes. (And this one is not nearly as bad as some of the ones you have directed at me.)

Reply to
David Brown

Not trying to be rude, I'm serious. You have gaping holes in your knowledg e of digital logic design. If you don't know the significance of clock ena bles and are just learning the faculties of logic gates there is no point r eally in trying to teach you how to design a CPU.

tand?

me in my git repository, and in my reviewing it on-the-spot after posting h ere I concluded incorrectly that it was wrong from that timeframe. As it t urns out, the way it was back then was correct, and I had thought things th rough properly.

I don't know what you are referring to here... at all. "it" has no meaning to me unless you explain "it".

ne else does in order to be successful. The truth is you DO NOT if you're good enough, if you have enough vision and follow-through. Things that are fundamental in nature's design rise up and speak for themselves in any pro ject. There are a host of people moving forward all the time who come up w ith new ways of doing old things better than the old ways.

You can do things any way you want. No one is telling you to do anything i n a specific way. We don't understand what you are talking about because y ou can't be bothered to learn the common terminology or any of the basic co ncepts. If you want to learn it all on your own, inventing all the concept s yourself and giving everything a name you invented, then why are you here asking questions?

e variances and issues in the way things are coded, things that could be do ne away with, merged, rethought, refactored, improved upon, etc., and that' s what I plan to do with Logician, to bring in a more common base of natura l intuitive understanding from the way people think, and the way things are and exist fundamentally, without having to learn the mechanisms establishe d in the industry previously where they don't make sense. Some of it is tr uly archaic and could use a fresh perspective.

ls and rebuilding from the ground up for the future, I'll go it alone with sadness, and the lot of you can benefit from the product I ultimately produ ce if you so desire. If not, no worries. No harm, no foul.

No, I have no interest in reinventing things that aren't broken. I have wo rk to do and know how to get my work done using the tools available. If yo u want to design your own tools, obviously getting work done is secondary. Regardless that isn't how you started this thread. You started by explain ing what you were trying to do and how you were trying to do it and asked, "Is there an easier / different way to do this?" All we have done is to tr y to explain why using clock enables is an easier way to do what you were d oing.

to smash or diminish their hopes, dreams, or goals. Any goals which are tr uly off-the-charts ludicrous will have that fact revealed on the journey, a nd for some people (possibly myself included), that's the ONLY way they'll EVER learn. But for the rest, beating someone down like that is horrific.

enthusiastic, honest, reaching-out, sincere efforts ... it's akin to the wo rst kind of criminal behavior one person can do to another. It damages thi ngs on the inside which can never be undamaged. It cuts and produces scars that remain for life, impacting countless other areas of their life for th e rest of their life.

No one here has intentionally tried to be negative or to diminish your hope s. What we have tried to do explain how you are on a long, painful road an d that we can help you find an easier way if you will listen. If you want to follow the rough road, that's your choice. I'm not making any judgement s at all about your destination. That's all up to you.

If you want to discuss digital logic design, please ask questions. I'm not interested in discussing how people are diminishing your hopes or anything at all about god. This group is not about that. Sorry if you were hurt b y anything I wrote.

Rick C.

Tesla referral code +++

gnuarm.deletethisbit

torsdag den 29. november 2018 kl. 18.52.16 UTC+1 skrev Rick C. Hodgin:

tand?

[...]

I see why you "encounter resistance when I approach others with my thinking "

Reply to
lasselangwadtchristensen

)

rstand?

[...]

ng"

I'm sorry this thread ended this way. I was hoping to help him make some p rogress on his design and his understanding of how to design logic. But I can't say I am surprised. He seems to have difficulties in understanding h ow others think in general. So it shouldn't be a surprise that he had trou ble understanding the concepts we tried to explain to him. I guess that is also why he hasn't learned very much from all the many sources available o n the web and in books.

I think that is the main reason why this group is relatively dead now. Mos t people have found other, very easy ways to learn digital logic design. R ich seems intent on literally reinventing the wheel in terms of digital log ic design. Nothing he finds is good enough because it isn't the way he has already started thinking without even trying to understand how others do i t.

Rick C.

Tesla referral code ----

gnuarm.deletethisbit

I appreciate the offer of help, Rick C.

--
Rick C. Hodgin
Reply to

Agreed. I have tried many times to help Rick (mostly in programming groups, rather than this one). Sometimes it seems he learns a bit from what I write, but sooner or later it ends with me or others telling him he needs to learn more, or reduce the scope of his ambition, or re-think the direction he is heading, and then we who help are declared to be evil, negative influences, possessed by the devil (yes, apparently I am possessed), or - as now - the worst sort of criminal.

Most Usenet groups are relatively dead (at least, most technical and useful ones). People have other ways to ask questions and share knowledge. I can't comprehend why people ("the youth of today") seem to prefer web-based forums, but they do.

Still, even a quite group like this gets interesting discussions sometimes, although I am mostly a lurker here as I haven't done much programmable logic design for a long time.

Reply to
David Brown

I see Rick a bit different. He has taken on an enormous mission, prompted by a blind faith that this is his calling and that by some supernatural power he will be able to succeed.

He has learned enough about a lot of things, 'to be dangerous', but not enough to really have an expertise of the level really needed to succeed at his mission.

He seems to refuse to learn from the mistakes of others, and doesn't look at history, perhaps due to his feeling of calling, and as such he is doomed to repeat most of the mistakes of the past, which will mean it will take him a long time to get to where he wants to get to. He somehow thinks that he will get the insight to bypass the issues that others had in those attempts, and somehow overlooked the answer.

He also has the typical fanatical mindset that anyone trying to change his mind about anything remotely based on what he has taken of faith, must be from an evil source, since he can't be wrong.

Reply to
Richard Damon

ake

fficulties

much

ng

from

This is not my position.

I am seeking to build a foundation that is based on an explicit offering unto the Lord, prayed over, pursued toward Him, and not just to get it done. It is the best of what He first gave me given back to Him.

I receive offered help when it comes from a commensurate offering, but other help comes from other foundations and I cannot receive and integrate that help into my project because it's not an offering of legitimate giving with a desire to help, it's more like, "This is how you do it [moron]," and such attitudes are of the enemy spirit.

There really is a 1 00% division in this world between the saved and unsaved. The goals I pursue are my best offering unto the Lord, guven in explicit holiness for Him, weak and failing as they are, they are still my best.

When others seek to serve the Lord, for the Lord, with their skills, then that help will be integrated because it will integrate in the way of love and offering and peace, and not from some other source.

You can listen to my philosophy in this video I recorded back in

2012. It begins about 35 minutes into the video, and was a total surprise to me when I recorded it. Unplanned, it's summed up my whole thinking nicely:

You may understand if you listen.

I keep hoping and praying others will come on board and help. We are stronger together than apart, but it must be for the Lord and not for other reasons.

--
Rick C. Hodgin
Reply to

This reminds me of the joke about the man on the roof of his flooded home. A person in a rowboat offers help and the man replies, "No thanks, I'm pra ying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith." A helicopter hovers overhead and offers help and the man replies, "No thanks, I'm praying to G od and he is going to save me. I have faith." A motorboat comes by offerin g help and the man replies, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith." Soon the water rises above the roof and the man drowns.

On reaching heaven the man asks the lord why he wasn't saved. The lord rep lied, "I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter, what more did you expect?"

I would suggest you stop turning away motorboats, Richard.

Rick C.

Tesla referral code ---+

gnuarm.deletethisbit

It is quite clear that this is your position. But like several aspects of what you do and write, I don't think you are fully aware of it. (And as always, this is an independent observation, not an insult.) You are convinced that your positions in many respects are "divinely inspired" in some way. Now, I am not going to say that this is not the case - what I believe here does not matter. However, how you /interpret/ your divine inspiration, and what you do with it, is a purely human matter - it is up to /you/.

Thus when many people tell you that you are wrong about something, it is entirely possible that you /are/ wrong, despite divine inspiration. The people driving the motorboats and helicopters may not believe in the same god you do - that does not mean they are not there to help. And who are you to say that folks like Rick and I are not giving you the guidance you asked god for?

Again, it seems clear that you believe this - but that is not close to the image you project. You give the image of astounding arrogance and pride - that you believe you alone have been chosen to re-create all programming, software, hardware, and even the tools used to make them, and that you alone are good enough for the job because no one else measures up to your standards of purity.

That does not apply to any of the help you have been given here, in this thread. Certainly there are people in groups that you have annoyed so consistently that they directly insult you - and certainly there are some people who are just rude anyway.

People do sometimes tell you your ideas are moronic (or words to that effect). That is not the same thing as saying /you/ are a moron. I don't think you are a moron, but I /do/ think some of the things you say or plan are truly stupid.

I assume that when you tell people they are the worst sort of criminals, or possessed by daemons, or simply evil or negative people, you are doing it because you think it might help them. And yet if someone else says something as mild as "this is probably not the best way to reach your goals" or "you need to go back and learn some basics", they are evil and negative and fighting against you.

Most other people do not agree with you about your beliefs. That does not mean they are working against you, or against your god. As far as they are concerned, your god does not exist - they don't work against him any more than they work against the Martians. The world - and people - are not as black-or-white as you think.

Reply to
David Brown

And, as far as they are concerned, the US is the greatest nation in the Universe, bringing democracy and progress to us all.

Can you see the pattern there?

Aka, congratulations for your anti-(anti-)dogmatism...

*Plonk*

Julio

Reply to
Julio Di Egidio

If you are serious about your plonk, you won't be reading this - but I know some people use "plonk" as a threat rather actually carrying it out.

I am completely at a loss to figure out what you mean here. I said that most people do not agree with Rick's beliefs - that is simple fact. And I said this does not mean they are against him or his god - that is also simple fact, but it is one that causes Rick a good deal of trouble.

How you see that as being related to American politics or nationalism is beyond my comprehension. Would it help if I pointed out that I am not American, nor do I live there or have anything to do with that country?

Reply to
David Brown

I came across this sermon today. It speaks of these very things I'm talking about here, about starting a foundation upon God and holiness, and not upon other things, and then building everything else which exists atop that foundation:

A.W. Tozer -- "Everything By Prayer"

Tozer died in 1963, and these audio sermons are some of what remain of his teachings, a 44-year stint in ministry.

Rick C. Hodgin
Reply to
Rick C. Hodgin

Since my last post I have been working on my Logician tool. I currently ha ve it modeling a simple bit storage device with four gates, two inputs, one output, three other devices, and 13 bit lines. It provides a type of GtkW ave output. I'm currently working on a true visualization of the circuits along with a type of debugger environment for examining individual circuits in local / watch windows, as well as a single-step debugger.

Once it's all coded and validated, I'll move on to larger tests. I plan to offer hot-swap DLL functions which replace large logic units once they're validated, to replace their bits in and bits out with custom DLL code (for faster simulations).

Logician plans to be dynamic and extensible.

When it is ready for a beta release, I'll post the Windows-based executable and source code online along with a video and various examples explaining how to use them. My first target will be the Scott CPU from the book "But How Do It Know?" It is a simple 8-bit processor designed to teach people h ow computers work fundamentally. It will be sufficient for a visualization and operational demonstration of its features in real-time.

I eventually plan to develop my CPUs in this tool, and to export the net it creates to Verilog source code for use in a real FPGA. I could use help w orking with Verilog and FPGA tools when that time comes.

--
Rick C. Hodgin
Reply to

[...]

How do you plan to deal with clock enables?

Rick C.

Tesla referral code -+-+

gnuarm.deletethisbit

Logiciam supports a CLK device. It is a traditional periodic square wave f orm outputting 1s and 0s period-based. That putput could be routed through AND gates, what I call All1 gates, based on system flags, and would advanc e a stepper when things are allowed to progress, per my original design int ent as indicated in this thread.

However, I'm going to try to go with an asynchronous design.

--
Rick C. Hodgin
Reply to

form outputting 1s and 0s period-based. That output could be routed throu gh AND gates, what I call All1 gates, based on system flags, and would adva nce a stepper when things are allowed to progress, per my original design i ntent as indicated in this thread.

I watched a video this morning on the 6502. It contains the very circuit I was describing above, with a clock generator feeding in to a small unit wh ich receives the equivalent of busy flags from other parts of the system be fore advancing its stepper. I about fell off the treadmill when I saw it.

--
Rick C. Hodgin
Reply to

form outputting 1s and 0s period-based. That putput could be routed throu gh AND gates, what I call All1 gates, based on system flags, and would adva nce a stepper when things are allowed to progress, per my original design i ntent as indicated in this thread.

I can't say I understand any of the above other than the "asynchronous" des ign part. There lies madness. I have done async design and it is not easy . A small FSM is not too hard, but anything larger is much harder. FPGAs are not intended for async design and make it all *very* hard.

Do you know how to implement sequential logic asynchronously?

Rick C.

Tesla referral code -++-

gnuarm.deletethisbit