PCIX DMA Serverworks chipset

Hi, I'm using the Xilinx PCI-X core (64bit/133MHz) on an add in card to perform a DMA from the card into the system's memory. The user application in the FPGA requests 4Kbyte bursts and after transfering the

4Kbyte it gets a new address from the device driver. This application works well in a PC with Intel E7505 memory controller and P64H2 bridge. We achieve a datarate of about 450 MB/s. But it doesn't work in a HP Proliant DL380 with Serverworks Grand Champion LE chipset and CIOB-X2 bridge. In this system we only can transfer data for some seconds if the blocksize of the DMA is reduced to 1 Kbyte and then the system suspends and has to be rebooted. Does anyone have experience with a dma application on such a system? Thank you, Matthias
Reply to
Matthias Müller

We are debugging similar types of issues with a Xilinx based PCI-X card and the chipsets you mention. There are numerous possible causes for the general symptom you describe. I presume these are dual Xeon chassis' you are talking about? Make sure your s/w guys understand read/write ordering and use of semaphores in multi-threaded applications and SMP systems.

My first suggestion is to get the documentation for the PCI-X bridge that you are interfacing with. For the particular chipset that you describe that could prove difficult :).

My second suggestion is to buy one of these (or something like it):

and hook it up to your logic analyzer (you can rent one too, that's what we did). Being able to observe what's going on on that bus will save you a _lot_ of debugging time.

Mark

Matthias Müller wrote:

Reply to
Mark Schellhorn