Parallel P&R

Anyone know if the P&R tools are multi-threaded ? And, if they're not, whether there are any plans to make them so ? Even if it's just the multi-pass tools running in parallel, it could be an advantage...

All the new Mac Pro's (which can also run Windows & Linux) are quad-core, and the new chips due from Intel in December are quad-core-on-a-die, making the machines 8-core... It sure would be nice to harness all that power... You don't need a Mac, btw, Dell sell just-as-capable computers, but the Mac is just cheaper :-)

Simon

Reply to
google

On solaris (and probably linux) you can set up a node file - just a list of hosts - for multi-pass place & route that will run a separate P&R job on each host. When I was working with this, I understood you couldn't specify multiple cores for one host without "fooling" the node selection by permutating upper and lower case for the same spelling to make it appear as different hosts.

As for Windows... ?

Reply to
John_H

Our FAE mentioned that multi-thread (multi-core) support is slated for a future release, I think he said sometime in 2007.

Reply to
JustJohn