Open-source CableServer for Impact (no more need for Jungo driver on Linux)

I've reversed engineer the CableServer communication with Impact and written from scratch a brand new CableServer. Currently only Parallel III cable is implemented, but new cables can be added very easily. I will post the project on sourceforge.net next week.

Antti wasn't really helpful to come up with a name for the project, so it will be called "cblsrv" :)

I've uninstalled windriver from Win32 and Impact seems to work without it if only "cblsrv" is used. I guess the same is true for Linux as well.

Zoltan

Reply to
zcsizmadia

Awesome :)

Reply to
fpga_toys

On a sunny day (31 Aug 2006 13:00:28 -0700) it happened " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in :

P cable 3 in Linux? Was on my site already:

Does direct IO, you need to be root. And you do not need impact at all.

What am I missing in your idea?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Thius is like a programmer cable SDK for Impact.

Some advanteges:

  1. All devices supported which are supported by Impact.
  2. 3rd part programmer cables can be used with Impact (e.g. USB)

I have another project

which supports multiple Xilinx devices and no need for any driver on Linux. BTW xc3sprog does the same.

1.For example USB programmer cables can be implemented easily. Jan Panteltje wrote:
Reply to
zcsizmadia

On a sunny day (31 Aug 2006 13:51:56 -0700) it happened " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in :

One uses the ioctl() calls IIRC, mine does direct IO. And the ioctls did not work on my box for some reason or other IIRC. All these kernel versions.... just upgraded to 2.6.17.9 #1 PREEMPT... And had to modify some driver too.

Yes you are right, if you have impact working in command line mode, then it could do some more. Or maybe write something for USB that uses libusb too.....

Well, the more programs the more choice, the better :-) Always nice to find soft that works.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Awesome news, thanks!!!!! I'm really looking forward to trying it!

Eric

Reply to
Eric Smith

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com schrieb:

Sorry Zoltan,

I didnt realize such help was expected from me :)

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Nice! Good work.

If it doesn't crash like the Xilinx one you could call it "AbleServe" :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
Daniel O'Connor

Webpack 8.2, Service Pack 2 claims to fix the Impact crash when the Bit/Kedec Files changes. Obviously nobody tested, as the crash is still there...

Uwe Bonnes