Newbie Question Clocks on the Spartan 3

Just got my Xilinx Spartan 3 board operational. One part of the board sends digital data to a video DAC at 48 MHz. I did a priliminary program to send a test pattern to this DAC but the results change with a modification to the VGACLK'event and VGACLK='1' line. If I change the '1' to a '0' I get better results. I suppose I should now go Spartan 3 specific and use the Xilinx DCMs? Can someone point me to beginners doc on clock distribution and DCMs? I am printing the 68 page XAPP462 as I write this post but sheesh what a horse!

Thanks,

Brad

Reply to
Brad Smallridge

What do you mean "better results"? Sounds to me like you have a timing issue between your data and clock. What is the timing relationship between the two? Is the DAC clock feeding into the FPGA or out from the FPGA? What edge of the clock is the DAC reading data on? What edge of the clock is the FPGA sending the data on?

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
removed.

rickman

It's running now. Not all my pins were soldered correctly. And a timing variable was off to boot. I may still want to use the DCM however.

To answer your questions:

Well right now I'm a happy camper.

An FAE suggested I run an outside clock to the FPGA and to the DAC.

Rising

I switched it back to rising with this sort of VHDL: if( VGACLK'event and VGACLK='1')

Thanks for your help. What's with your web site?

Reply to
Brad Smallridge