New FPGA Development Board

A new product from Digiliant...

All i can say is oooo!

  • Virtex-2 Pro XC2VP30 FPGA with 30,816 Logic Cells, 136 18-bit multipliers, 2,448Kb of block RAM, and two PowerPC Processors * DDR SDRAM DIMM that can accept up to 2Gbytes of RAM * 10/100 Ethernet port * USB2 port * Compact Flash card slot * XSGA Video port * Audio Codec * SATA, and PS/2, RS-232 ports * High and Low Speed expansion connectors with a large collection of available expansion boards

300$ student price.... Now if i can convince them to give that price out to us lowly hobbiests too...
Reply to
Ziggy

Hi,

indeed very nice and I am even a student :o

regards, Benjamin

Reply to
Benjamin Menküc

Good luck :-) A quick glance at the NuHorizons website shows they're selling just the FPGA for $619 (Quantity 1 price), or $487 (quantity

100+ price).

If you do manage it, let me know! At *last* a development board with a DIMM socket on it. Oh frabjous day. Callooh! Callay! He chortled in his joy :-))

Why it's such a rare item is beyond me - it takes 123 signals to put a generic 184-pin DIMM socket on-board... With the BGA parts having upwards of 300 (566 in this case) signals available, and RAM being so ridiculously cheap (in DIMMs!), and with the EDK becoming more popular you'd have thought a DIMM socket would be commonplace... Horses for courses I suppose :-(

ATB, Simon.

Reply to
Simon

Ziggy,

For this board, can buyer specify a Spartan 3 1000K FPGA? On this page, it mentioned the board can accomodate three types of FPGA,

but on the actual page, this information is missing.

Thank you for your attention.

Reply to
Acceed See

Unfortunately, you can't use webpack with this board, so you have to buy an ISE license, right?

(I am a student also, but having to get an ISE license is kind of a damper).

-Arlen

Reply to
gallen

There are other Virtex-II Pro boards that have been available for sometime with a DDR-DIMM on it, including the ML310 from Xilinx which uses the same FPGA (XC2VP30) and has appeared in a number of posts here in comp.arch.fpga

Ed

Reply to
Ed McGettigan

Donno, but im sure they would respond to an email.

Personaly i was interested in the Virtex-2, as its got 2 real PPC cores. Could have lots of fun with that * drool *..

The S3 board does have a 1M option now, you see it in the shopping cart. And in reality that is what im going to be getting, unless i can find a way to be declared a student.. Its like only 120 or so with the 1M upgrade, much more affordable to a simple hobbiest like myself.

Reply to
Ziggy

Says quarter 3 2005

Spartan3e starter kit

for US$149 ethernet , usb , 32MB sdram, XC3S500E-4FG320 maybe with an upgrade option ?

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

All i know is if you order the S3 board direct from digiliant, when you check out you get the option today to upgrade the chip...

Guess ill find out in a week or two if its really there when i order mine. If its not real, then ill wait..

Reply to
Ziggy

As Ziggy says, it's available. I have one in front of me now with an XC3S1000 - it cost an extra $50 ($149 total) from Digilent. Yes, they need to enhance their web page, I wasn't aware of this option until I went to buy a 200 (400 is an extra $20, click on 'Add to cart' to see these).

I'm impressed with this board - good value for money and it arrived quickly.

--
Lawrence Wilkinson                                 lawrence@ljw.me.uk
Ph +44(0)1869-811059                             http://www.ljw.me.uk

Ziggy was talking about the S3 board, not the S3E board. The S3 board is available from Digilent with the XC3S400 or XC3S1000 in place of the usual XC3S200.

It does not have Ethernet, USB, or SDRAM, though. It does have static RAM.

Reply to
Eric Smith

At $2500 Ed, it's even more out of my price-range than the $1600 one first mentioned. I guess I should have said 'at last an *affordable* ...' (at least if you're a student...)

It might actually be worth enrolling in some course just to get the board, given the difference in cost ($1600 becomes $300...)

Simon

Reply to
google

I know that

I have a S3 starter kit. The s3e looks quite good with the extra features saves buying the separate add-on modules. Better for those using soft cores

The usb config is handy except some antivirus software interferes with Digilents adept software, only seems to happen on my laptop not desktop.

Just another option for those who can't get the academic pricing on the v2pro board.

S3e starter kit has showed up in the xilinx online store with a note saying target availability in July

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

Cool! Does it mean with this board, one can study firmware design with USB port and interface with a PC without extra hardware? USB has always been something I want to study.

"Purchase the Spartan-3E FPGA Starter Kit and receive a complimentary CD Kit containing the evaluation version of EDK 6.3i. The EDK kit includes the Platform Studio tool suite, the MicroBlaze soft processor core license, as well as all the embedded IP and documentation that you need to start designing Spartan-3 embedded processing systems today. "

Does the MB core license and other embedded IP have a time limit or not?

BTW, what does the extension -E mean? I was aware all FPGAs in Xilinx have an E version.

Reply to
Acceed See

Very nice. But can it be used with the Webpack? If you have to buy the full ISE Foundation for it that would sort of negate the cost savings...

Actually, why wouldn't webpack work? Does it not support the Virtex II parts?

Phil

Reply to
Phil Tomson

No.

From

ISE WebPACK supports the devices in the table below:

FPGA Virtex? Series Virtex-E: XCV50E - XCV300E Virtex-II: XC2V40 - XC2V250 Virtex-II Pro: XC2VP2 Virtex-4: LX: XC4VLX15, XC4VLX25

Spartan? Series Spartan-II: ALL Spartan-IIE: XC2S50E - XC2S300E Spartan-3: XC3S50 - XC3S1500 Spartan-3E: XC3S100E - XC3S500E Spartan-3L: XC3S1000L, XC3S1500L CPLD CoolRunner-II CoolRunner-IIA CoolRunner XPLA3 All XC9500 / XL / XV Families All

so unfortunately need ISE Foundation. Fine if you are at a uni as the uni can request that via Xilinx university program same with system generator and edk (and S3 starter kits)

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

Hi, This board:

has similar characteristics, besides is available a Software Dev Kit to immediately develop your program in C++. My company, buy this board to develop gambling machine. Our company doesn't have an inside structure to develop hardware, but only software. Before we developed our software on PC platform. But the PC platform it's not good for an embedded use. Now with this board we succeed in realizing excellent products. On the web page of Seventech, you can also see a sample C++ code to realize a graphic animation with this board. With this board it is possible to realize graphic animations with very good performance and the cost, also for the companies, it is A new product from Digiliant...

Reply to
Paolo

What if we don't want to write c++ ?

You don't give the price any where on your website. If a company hides the price it usually means I shouldn't bother looking as the products to expensive.

Way to much marketing fluff. At least you guys got rid of the flash from your website.

On the faq page why would I want to click on every little bit to expand the text ?

Where are the full technical specs ? What fpga (and options), how much ram , how much fram , max vga and video output , refresh rate and number of colors , what input voltage , what power supply does it need and comes with it ?

Whats in the kit, just the board or cables and power supply ? What additional software is needed ?

Can you use the free version of quartus or do you need the full version ?

I don't need to that it inspires inovation. I need to know the actual specs to see if it meets my needs.

Most engineers I know(including me) hate marketing crap.

Even more annoying is the our products better than theirs bs especially in newsgroups.(not you guys) (X vs A etc)

At least add a specs page with the exact speifications so we can see what your selling without having to wade through marketing BS.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

Alex, I am only a customer of that company, you not to ask to me of their web site. I have preferred not to write their web address to avoid to do publicity on the newsgroup.

However (apologizing with the whole newsgroup for the publicity) you can read the board specification on:

the Dev Kit description on:

and the sample code:

You can see the board price on the distributors web site

(search for "Merlino") I pay a board 260? directly buying from the manufacturing: Seventech

Bye Paolo

"Alex Gibson" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

Paolo

That does look interesting, too bad the FPGA doesnt have the dual PowerPC cores included..

What sort of free tools are available for the altera chips and are they any good?

Reply to
Ziggy