Lead Free Packages

Were do I need to turn to purchase lead free Xilinx parts? Insight in Germany tells me that there are no XC2Sxx-PQG208 parts and no XC3Sxx-FTG256 parts listed.

The problem is the following:

In the EU no electronic equipment containing lead may be sold by july

2006. My most important product has very low volume and therefore a single charge of products is in stock for more than a year. With manufacturer lead times of 16 week (take from a recent distributor quote) I will need to start ordering lead free parts this summer. It makes me a little nervous that the distri never heard about the Xilinx -G packages. It doesn't help, that the lead free parts are not listed in the datasheets.

What are your experience? Did anybody order lead free Xilinx FPGAs yet? What about other manufacturers?

Kolja Sulimma

BTW: Networking equipment is excempt from the directive so that there will still be millions of leaded FPGAs be sold in europe.

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma

Have a look here

. This is public domain, I know more but I might have to shoot you if I told. Somebody from Xilinx may wish to elaborate the detail. Also push your disti a bit harder for detail, I would talk to a FAE rather than a sales person. Often a sales person only knows what is on their database. and if a part has not been ordered before then it might not be on the database, a catch 42 situation if ever there was one. The FAE may also be able to give you more detail under a NDA.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd.

This message is the personal opinion of the sender and not that necessarily that of Enterpoint Ltd.. Readers should make their own evaluation of the facts. No responsibility for error or inaccuracy is accepted.

John Adair

Hi Kolja, This will be of interest to you. The EU has apparently included a loop hole in the Lead free spec. Is your PCB < 0.1% lead/tin? cheers, Syms

Symon